Clean ME for 820-2850 so I can change SN for a MB replacement

Paul Daniels

Super Moderator
Hello all, definitely calling in a plz-bro on this.

I've got an A1286 with an i7 2.66GHz mainboard that I have to replace for a client and I want to migrate the SN, unfortunately none of the clean-ME region BIOS images for the 820-2850 seemed to work for me ( usually 165, 3437 and similar ones aren't a drama, so I'm missing something here ).

SN: C02JX0XKF1G3

Is there a service anyone here is offering for creating such a BIOS image?

Paul Daniels

Super Moderator
Thanks. I don't have the Medusa. I still do it the long way, removing the chip, reflashing and resoldering; which at least works for all the boards.

Paul Daniels

Super Moderator
Right, this is where I'm runnning in to an issue. The supplied BIOS has room for 11 character SN, where's the SN I have for this machine is 12 characters; so where do I factor in the extra byte? I can expand the whole section of the file and removing two of the zero-bytes immediately following the ssn section (2 bytes, one for the SN, another for the 4-byte ending between .hwc and .son ), or overwrite one of the bytes either prefixing or suffixing.

If I was to guess, I'd almost say pushing the section in to the zero byte area following would be the correct functional option.

Anyone experienced this?s.jpg

Paul Daniels

Super Moderator
That makes things all the more curious. I'm wondering if the bottom plate that was fitted is in fact the incorrect one for the chassis/machine that was supplied. Unfortunately the mainboard was dead (PCH) as such I was not able to boot to confirm the SN.

Just realised now I can take the chip from the dead mainboard (BIOS) read it, and check internally.

For the record, the adding of two bytes and removing two of the zero bytes did result in a readable UEFI structure and was able to generate a correct checksum.