HP AIO - 24-b223w - Won't power on, can't track issue.

Jameswis

I'[m working on an HP AIO.
board number DAON83MB6G0 rev3. I have the baordview and schematics.
The board won't turn on. At the power button, i don't have 5v.
The schematics shows bot S0-S5 states and A G3 State.. The only power rails i have with the power adapter hooked up, are those listed under G3... So I'm no sure where to look next. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Do you get 3V at PWRBTN#?
If not, disconnect CN19 and check again; you can use SW1 pads instead.
If sltill low, be sure R570 is good.

Jameswis

I will check if I have 3v at power button, but Please answer me this?
When i look at the schematic / boardview at the power button connector, they only show 5v_S5 PWR.. I don't see any of the 4 pins labeled as 3v.. So should i be looking for 5v or 3v? (Im not trying to be a wiseass, I'm just trying to understand in a way that I can learn it.)
Thanks.
I'll check on this when i get home..

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Power button is something like SW1; do you see any 5V going to SW1 pads?
The pull-up resistor for PWRBTN# is R570, to +3V_ALW...

Jameswis

Well I just did it. In poking around i slipped and shorted 2pins on an 8pin chip (PU11), Which I think is a voltage converter, and let the smoke out of it. I just ordered another, so hopefully i can get it swapped and keep testing. I guess I'll be back in a few days... lol

Jameswis

I've got the new chip soldered in, and I'm back to testing.
On the board view, Looking at SW1 It has 4 pads. 2 are ground and 2 are PWRBTN#...
Both PWRBTN# pads have 3.29v on them..
The actual connector with the ribbon cable for the power button is CN19 and has 4pins..
Pin1 = Ground,
Pin2= Pwr on LED# (This measures 3.29v but bounces to 0v and back to 3.29v over and over about every second)
Pin3= PWRBTN# - 0.0v
Pin4= +5v S5 PWR 0.0v
So i have No 5v at the power button connector.
R570 has 3.3v

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really understand why do you still expect 5V at PWRBTN#; it is pulled up to +3V_ALW!!!
Find the broken point for PWRBTN# line.
You can run a wire from SW1 to CN19...

Jameswis

I don't expect to find 5v at PWRBTN# However I would think I would find 5v on +5v_S5PWR correct? (IDK.. If I knew i wouldn't have paid for the help on this forum.. lol)

I don't think running a wire will help because the path from SW1 to CN19 is fine.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but on SW1 i should be able to use a momentary switch from the 3.3 to Grn and have the system turn on/off? I've tried with a jumper wire there to a ground pad and it won't try to turn on at all.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You've said to have 3.3V at SW1 (PWRBTN# pads), but not on pin 3 of CB19 (0V on same PWRBTN# line).
Can you then explain how the PWRBTN# line is not broken???

+5V_S5 power rail requires S5_ON, which appears AFTER power button is pressed.

"I've tried with a jumper wire there to a ground pad and it won't try to turn on at all."
Did you disconnect CN19?
Be sure to have 3V at SW1, when run that wire.
KBC's pin 107, must detect 3-0-3V signal drop when PWRBTN# is triggered.

Jameswis

I follow what you're saying now, and I understand the confusion. I got a little ahead of myself when I was writing out the numbers on CN19. Let me do this again..
Pin
1 - Ground - 0.0v
2 - Pwr ON LED - Bounching 0-3.29v
3 - PWRBTN# - 3.29v
4- +5V_S5 - 0.0v

So i have 3.3 on PWRBTN# at both SW1 and CN19.