MACBOOK A1398 820-00163-A No Boot

Hello ,

I got this macbook that came in today , the issue is its not booting , when i plug it i can see the orange light , fan spins then battery signs appear but no boot , i disconnected the battery and the same is happening , can i get some help please ?

Thank you very much .

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Be sure to get 85W Magsafe 2 charger.
Also test with known good battery.
This board will not always boot with improper battery.

I did test with 85W Magsafe 2 charger. i did get a boot without the battery connected , but as soon as i connected the battery it would not give me any orange light , would that have anything to ee with the battery ?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You've said to get amber lighr in first post with battery connected.
The light must come on with charger alone too (without battery).

BTW, do not connect/reconnect battery, when charger is plugged in; you risk to fry the SMC.

right , but using a 45W Charger , but with the 85W i would not get any light when battery is connected , but with battery disconnected i do get orange light and a boot. No i always disconnect first before connecting battery.

I wanted to give you a clear information about the behaviour of the macbook,

with 45 W i got orange light with battery connected but no boot , with 85W magafe 2 i do have a boot without battery disconnected , now i do not have a known good battery here to make a test , would you suggest me to get a know good battery to test ?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Should be the best option, known good battery.
This board will not start with 45/60W charger alone; unless charged battery is also connected.

I order a battery but i think that i got the wrong one , the original that the laptop came in with is 11.36V 99.5Wh 8755mAh Battery
but what i received is :11.26V Capacity: 95Wh / 8440mAh Battery , when I tested it , I got no boot , and not charging , does it mean that i have to get exactly the : 11.36V 99.5Wh 8755mAh Battery ?

Please advice thank you very much .

I dont have another board like it here , but I just ordered another battery , cause that battery is indeed made in shengzen china . I will have to wait again , i am not even getting the orange light with that battery connected.

I just got the other battery with brand new with the correct infos comparing to the one that the computer came with , but still the same , not boot , no orange light with battery connected , its like the computer is not reading batteries or i am not sure if this is another bad quality or could it be the charging IC , cause the owner stated that before it used to charge only when it used to be off , would that be the charging IC U7000 ?

Please advice , thank you very much .

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So machine boots with both charger and battery connected now?

Disconnect internal SSD and boot with another preinstalled USB macOS.

No , Machine boots with its old battery but still not charging , but as soon as I disconnect old battery and preinstall the new battery no boot , no orange light with charger connected. , I do not have a preinstalled USB macOS here.

The problem is , I do not have another original pulled battery from another macbook like this one , but according to your expertise , the charging IC U7000 would not be the culprit? I can not blame it 100% cause my one wire circuit is working .