Macbook A2141 820-01700 no image

ipetro

I understand the recommendations of what to check in order to logically confirm that the CPU or GPU has failed and what should be replaced will not follow?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
It is worth to change GPU?

Did you try known good U9850?
Once removed, check continuity from its balls to J8500.

ipetro

yes I replaced the U9850!
Is it worth to change GPU? why not ? This is the same chip as T2! The main thing is to check everything carefully to make sure that it is the GPU! I can’t understand why the Intel graphics don’t work if the AMD fails or vice versa! if some line of U9850 missed 55, then there must be a short circuit or a strong mismatch with the readings of U9850.
ed will not follow?

ipetro

Please tell me from which other MacBook model can I get a display to test this MacBook? (suddenly both my displays are faulty from this model! just because they work with boards from 1707 does not mean that they work with native Mac)

ipetro

At the prompt of Reformat, I connected to an external display and the system does not see the built-in display! Should it be like this or should it turn off when the display is detected?
PP3V3_S0SW_LCD=3,3v all the time
PP5_S0SW_LCD =5v all the time
Should these voltages always be present or should they turn off when the display is detected?

ipetro

so I bought a MacBook A2141 without a display and tested my displays and they both turned out to be working! That means the problem is on the board! The board that is being repaired does not see the connected displays! what defines the display?

Attachments

• IMG_7300.JPEG
    IMG_7300.JPEG
    476.9 KB · Views: 1

ipetro

should make you happy. Since I took off the u9850 again, I decided to measure nickels! As I thought, if the 9850 missed something through itself then there will be some inconsistencies. and yes DP_INT_EG_AUX_N in short circuit (should be about 0.385 in diode mode) ! and now I’m 100% sure that the GPU needs to be replaced! You can’t check this at all without removing the u9850!

ipetro

after replacing the video chip of the GPU Radeon, the picture is only in safe mode and it slows down a lot! after replacing, I restored it via DFU without errors! What could be the problem?

Attachments

• 03.jpeg
    03.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 01.jpeg
    01.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 2

ipetro

the chip was removed from a similar blocked board. Please see if they are interchangeable?
The first photo is old. The second is new.

Attachments

• IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7600.jpeg
    IMG_7600.jpeg
    906.4 KB · Views: 5

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Not exact the same; one ends in 52, other 68.

A2141 BOM lists many NAVI14 GPUs.
There may be some configuration differences.
Compare GPU pinstrap resistors from page 116.
You should copy the configuration from donor board; depends if has the same vRAM size.

ipetro

I compared the resistors from page 116, they are all the same on both boards!
VRAM chips have the same markings!
but the boards have different amounts of RAM, 64 and 32 GB

Attachments

• IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1

ipetro

I bought the same chip. But I encountered a problem with reballing. Tell me what I'm doing wrong that sometimes the balls don't form as they should? Bottom heating 240C, top 320C, I pour flux well. And the result is this.

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7640.jpeg
    IMG_7640.jpeg
    772.5 KB · Views: 0

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"Bottom heating 240C, top 320C"
These are values from rework machine?

If the balls adhered a bit to each pad, reflow the chip again, with hot air station.
Remove its nozzle first, to reduce air flow.

ipetro

I removed everything and quickly wrote down the paste. I installed the board back into the MacBook but the behavior is the same as with the previous chip. The picture is on the built-in display only when an external monitor is connected. Without an external monitor, the Apple logo also loads and before turning on the picture, the image disappears. And a message appears on the touchbar:

Attachments

• IMG_7652.jpeg
    IMG_7652.jpeg
    903.2 KB · Views: 1