Macbook Air M2 (a2681) - Touchpad / Keyboard Issue - LID

thetechfix

I am working on a customer's Macbook Air M2 (a2681), whenever the lid is closed and re-opened the keyboard and touchpad stop working until the system is force restarted. If I manually put the system to sleep, the keyboard and touchpad continue to work after waking it up.

I checked the LID sensor for any corrosion or damage and it, along with the rest of the system, look in excellent condition with no signs of liquid spill or corrosion anywhere.

I came across another thread that mentioned AMR_LEFT_OR_ND_1V8, so I tested it at RR300 on the motherboard. With the lid closed it reads 0v, when opened it reads 1.8v, with the lid sensor disconnected it reads 1.8v.

I've never ran into this issue as of yet, so I'm not sure what else to check and other forums are stating that Apple just replaced the entire palmrest / shell.

thetechfix

Measuring IPD_LID_OPEN_1V8 at RR304 on the board I get the following:

Lid Open: 1.8v
Lid Closed: 0v
Lid sensor disconnected: 1.8v

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Your problem may be caused by an error on the SPI bus of AMR sensor.
Check the circuits from page 6 of keyboard schematic.
May need to change the AMR sensor...

thetechfix

I am going through it now. But I just noticed that the haptic feedback doesn't appear to be working. I haven't really looked into it yet, but would it be possible for those two issues to be related?

thetechfix

Just leaving this here for now so I have it, and I will finish testing tomorrow.

I am not getting any voltage on the following:
PINS 6 or 10 on JR0601
R2213
R2231

thetechfix

Just wanted to give an update here in case anyone else comes across this. I didn't have time to finish testing everything. However, since the haptic feedback wasn't working I decided to order a replacement touchpad and cable.

I installed just the new touchpad first but the same issues were happening. So I put the original back and changed just the cable. With the new cable and original touchpad, the haptic feedback started working and the keyboard and touchpad had no issues after closing and opening the lid. I re-examined the original cable and don't see anything obviously wrong with it. I may just test each trace for continuity on the original cable just to see where the damage was.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
The flex should have a bad terminal/connector.
I remember had to test 3 new TP cables from Aliexpress for an old A1502, years ago; until find a good one.