MacBook Pro Retina 13, Late 2013. Fan always high and mac really slow. [solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualLife

Hi, i have MacBook Pro Retina 13, Late 2013. (820-3536-A) I Bought this one broken and found out that it has backlight issues. I fixed the backlight and now it works fine but i found out that the fan is always high and it is really slow. It lags a lot... I tested it with ASD and found out these problems but can´t really figure out what are these in schematic.

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• photo34.jpg
    photo34.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1
  • photo35.jpg
    photo35.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo36.jpg
    photo36.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo37.jpg
    photo37.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo39.jpg
    photo39.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
The way that ASD test works is it loads the CPU, unloads it, and then checks how long it takes for temperature to drop, and how quickly/slowly it rises. Seeing as all these machines use the same heatsink, same fan, same case, when you load the CPU to 100% and then back to 0%, the temperature should increase/decrease at a specific curve. If it So you have a few options here.

1) Heatpipe inside the heatsink is bad - so it is not conducting properly.
2) Shitty thermal paste/no thermal paste.
3) Fan isn't in there or able to spin at top speed.
4) You're SOL.

The practical real world cause of this is that the heatsink was dropped during reassembly/disassembly from the person who was originally fucking with it, which broke the heatpipe inside the heatsink. Scared, the guy bends the heatsink back into place, and it looks great... right? No, the heatpipe inside is broken!

I'd also check the EFI version of ASD as it is more descriptive with sensors. Check the hardware profile, go to the list of sensors, and read through the list to see which one looks funny. Sometimes you find things that don't show up in the test.

VirtualLife

I checked the EFI also and the only thing it reported is below the limit is the palm rest and i checked there is no such sensor in schematic. Yes the heatpipe is good and i did not replace the old thermal so i will do it when I'm at home. I'm just wondering why it lags so much, when i don't touch the mouse and suddenly want to use it, it takes time to show me that the mouse did even move?

Well i will check those 4 options and tell you what happened. I don't understand what you meant by that SOL? Im from Finland so i don't understand everything (I found out, Shit outta luck) :D But thanks!

And by the way this forum is really great idea!

Last edited:

VirtualLife

Thanks! Its quite weird that the trackpad has the palm rest sensor but it seems good explanation. I had MacBook Air Trackpad bad and it did the same issue as this retina one. But i will check this issue and report it here.

VirtualLife

Thanks man! You were right! It was the flat cable that was really bad and corroded. Now the Macbook Pro works just fine!

VirtualLife

No Title

Macbook is fixed. I cleaned the connector because it had crap inside and by crap i mean coffee. Also the flat cable had coffee on it. Here is some photos. It was pain in the ass to take the battery and the trackpad cover out but it was all worth it. I cleaned it with Isopropanol.

Attachments

• photo47.jpg
    photo47.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo48.jpg
    photo48.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.