Macbook Retina Early 2015 - 820-4924-A - Kernel panics + WiFi drops

guillem

Hi,

I have a MBP retina 13", with logic board 820-4924-A. The board itself looks immaculate, no signs of corrosion or anything like that on any of the sides. This is an i7 3.1GHz logic board, with 16GB of RAM.

Weird thing is, even though I see no corrosion or obvious issues (Diagnostics don't report any issues), the computer has ocasional kernel panics, with varying frequency, from 2-3 a day to one a week. Also, the WiFi connection as well as the Bluetooth seem to drop relatively often. In terms of the WiFi it's specially noticeable when doing any sort of videoconferencing. Doing hangouts, or Skype, the WiFi may easily drop every couple of minutes. It will show like if it was disabled and then enable again and reconnect.

I've tried swapping the Airport card with another one, but the issue persists. I have also notices that the system seems to get hot quite easily, and does reach 100 degress C when doing anything that is a bit resource intensive. Weird thing also is the 'CPU System Agent Core' temperature reading is erratic. It will show fine for a few minutes, and then drop to 0 for a while, then i'll get readings again.

Any suggestions as to what may be happening?

Thanks

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Try other RIO board and/or known good flex.
That may help for WiFi issue.
Any sign of dropped machine?

Last edited:

guillem

No signs of dropped machine, the outside looks like new, to be honest.

I will try and grab a new RIO board and flex and test it with that one.

guillem

i guess reballing the CPU it's a no/no, right? probably better to just get a new logic board? or is it actually doable?

Thanks