MakeMHz vs. Xbox Community (DMCA Abuse)

NeMesiS

P1 - Image01.png

https://makemhz.com/blogs/news/official-statement-on-recent-dmca-actions

Introduction:

The Original Xbox Modding Community is a dedicated group of enthusiasts focused on repairing and modifying a 20-year-old console, where we continually strive to push the console to its full potential. Interest in the Original Xbox surged during COVID-19, far surpassing its prime in the early 2000s. This resurgence has enabled many hobbyists and small businesses to specialize in this beloved console.

Recently, some members of our community have faced harassment and intimidation from a company named MakeMHz. It appears that MakeMHz is attempting to dominate our niche market and hinder community projects by filing questionable DMCA claims.

Discussing issues related to "MakeMHz" has become increasingly difficult across forums and discord channels as they are under constant threat of repercussions. I am hopeful that the "Rossmanngroup Forums" will serve as a safe haven for everyone within our community to express their concerns and share their experiences in a professional manner. I firmly believe that Mr. Rossmann shares many of the values held by the Original Xbox Modding Community making his forums an ideal place for open communication.

It has come to my attention that replying to this thread requires a paid subscription. However, I am happy to offer financial assistance to community developers who may need it. Any dissatisfied customers of MakeMHz are welcome to reach out to me directly, where I can forward their concerns to the thread. Additionally, I would like to extend an invitation to MakeMHz, Ryzee119, and RedHerring32 to join this discussion and contribute their perspectives.

NeMesiS

P2 - Image04.png

https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium

XeniumOS:

Over the years, many in the community have developed various iterations of the OpenXenium modchip based on Ryzee119's reverse-engineered repository of the XeniumICE modchip, originally manufactured by TeamXodus until around 2006. This work included a reverse-engineered firmware for the Xilinx CPLD.

About 12 months ago, I was actively sharing the progress of my projects on community forums. However, once I began focusing on an internal HDMI mod for the Original Xbox Console, I experienced persistent pressure from MakeMHz and his colleagues, seemingly due to the competitive nature of my project.

P2 - Image02.png

https://github.com/MakeMHz/xenium-fw-update

MakeMHz contributed some patches for XeniumOS, which is essential for Xenium-based modchips. However, some community members were displeased when MakeMHz rebranded the default skin by overlaying his branding on top of the original TeamXodus logo while also removing the option to change skins, locking users into the default version. A few of us in the community worked together to restore the original TeamXodus branding while retaining the patches. I hosted this modified version of XeniumOS, as I have done for years.

At some point, I learned that MakeMHz had acquired the domain for the TeamXodus website. Given that the domain now redirected to MakeMHz's website, our efforts seemed somewhat in vain, though we did succeed in re-enabling the skin feature. Shortly after I hosted the modified version of XeniumOS, I received a DMCA notice from MakeMHz, much to the surprise of his colleagues and the community. Unfortunately, the thread documenting these events had to be removed by the forum admins.

It appears that MakeMHz is attempting to assert ownership over TeamXodus's intellectual property by purchasing their domain and using this to file a DMCA claim against me. It's important to note that this action seems to be targeted specifically at me, ignoring the fact that XeniumOS and OpenXenium have circulated within the community for years. Despite these challenges the community has consistently supported me, particularly two teams who collaborated to create a new OpenSource OS for Xenium-based modchips, effectively resolving this issue.

P2 - Image01.png

NeMesiS

P3 - Image01.png

www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/189w7rm/makemhz_files_false_dmca_claim_against

Stellar Elimination Guide and Module:

When MakeMHz first entered the scene with their standalone internal HDMI mod, it was revolutionary for its time. Initially the mod included an onboard MCU but with the release of the Stellar modchip the MCU was removed forcing users to purchase the Stellar modchip to retain HDMI support. This change caused significant concern within the community but there was little anyone could do.

P3 - Image02.png

https://github.com/OfficialTeamUIX/Epimetheus

Until a colleague of mine suggested connecting a development board to the HDMI mod. Together we developed the "Stellar Elimination Guide," allowing the community to achieve HDMI support without needing to buy an expensive modchip they didn't want. Although the development board was large and complicated to install, I later created a streamlined version with connectors for easier programming and installation. TeamUIX then OpenSourced the "Epimetheus" project (also known as the Stellar Elimination Module) on my behalf.

P3 - Image03.png

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12202-debunking-makemhz/

Around the same time, MakeMHz announced their "Legacy Addon Board," which also addressed standalone HDMI support. To avoid potential confusion or claims that I had copied their product, I promptly released a "Debunking MakeMHz" post to introduce the Guide and Module to the community. If I hadn’t responded promptly, I was concerned they might accuse me of cloning their legacy board, as has happened with other projects of mine. MakeMHz subsequently initiated a series of DMCA takedowns, including a false claim against "Console Mods Wiki" for hosting the Guide we created, despite the fact that it remains available elsewhere in the community and on GitHub.

NeMesiS

P4 - Image01.png

HDMI Firmware:

It may come as a surprise to many that MakeMHz committed to OpenSourcing his HDMI mod, leading numerous community members to trust that promise. When I raised this issue, Ryzee119 assured us that MakeMHz would eventually fulfill their commitment to OpenSource the HDMI mod. 12 months have passed and there has been no progress. If MakeMHz were to honor this commitment to their customers and the community, much of the discussion in this thread would be unnecessary, as many of the DMCA claims are centered around the HDMI mod’s hardware and firmware.

P4 - Image02.png

https://github.com/MakeMHz/xbox-hd-plus-app/blob/main/LICENSE

Most of the claims made by MakeMHz are related to copyright infringements concerning the HDMI mod’s firmware. However this firmware is publicly available on MakeMHz’s GitHub repository under the GPLv2 license, which should allow the community to freely modify and distribute it for both private and commercial use. I believe this represents a misuse of GitHub, potentially entrapping users in copyright disputes based on MakeMHz’s attitude toward them.

NeMesiS

P5 - Image01.png

HDMI Hardware:

After announcing my intention to develop my own HDMI mod, I faced significant pressure despite clearly stating that there would be similarities due to using the same resources, such as the datasheet and evaluation schematics. Initially I based my hardware design on Ryzee119's GitHub repository, but I soon realized this was problematic due to his connection with MakeMHz. Following this I started the project anew, using the "Stellar Elimination Module" as a foundation and incorporating elements from the last three pages of the "ADV7511 Evaluation Schematic" which is readily accessible via Google and forms the bulk of the device's schematic design.

P5 - Image03.png

https://github.com/Ryzee119/XboxHDMI-Ryzee119
https://github.com/OfficialTeamUIX/Epimetheus
https://www.analog.com/media/en/tec...umentation/ADV7511_ADV7343_Eval_Schematic.pdf

Given that much of MakeMHz’s HDMI design is based on a publicly available evaluation schematic, it's unclear how he could secure a patent. Nevertheless he has proceeded to file DMCA claims against my hardware design for copyright infringement, even though I do not sell it with firmware. MakeMHz and his colleagues have consistently claimed that I was producing a 1:1 clone well before I had a working prototype. Other individuals working on OpenSource hardware designs and firmware based on Ryzee119’s GitHub repository, report similar issues. It has become evident that no matter how much effort is made to accommodate MakeMHz, he will continue to create obstacles.

P5 - Image04.png

NeMesiS

P6 - Image01.png

www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/11ty4zu/can_we_talk_about_lovemhzmakemhz_project/

Customer Service and Fraud:

Over the years, I have received numerous reports of MakeMHz banning customers from his Discord server when they sought help with issues related to devices they had purchased. There have also been instances where customers were banned from purchasing items from his website. This behavior has led many to question MakeMHz's motives, prompting them to seek assistance elsewhere which often results in harassment by MakeMHz's colleagues.

Additionally, MakeMHz has a history of defrauding at least $181,000 in cryptocurrency. While he has claimed that this was a mistake and that he has changed his ways, my experiences suggest that he may still be engaging in similar problematic practices. I honestly don’t know where MakeMHz and his colleagues find the time to target all the people they do within the community, it's quite astounding.

P6 - Image02.png

www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/11ty4zu/can_we_talk_about_lovemhzmakemhz_project/

I'm no expert in any of this, but I wanted to share my perspective on the situation. I recognize that there are many similar issues within the community, which can be overwhelming to keep track of. It would be beneficial if more members of the Xbox Community could voice their concerns, though I understand that some may prefer to remain anonymous out of fear of reprisal and the requirement of a paid subscription for this forum adds another barrier.

Most importantly, I would appreciate unbiased feedback from the "Rossmanngroup Forum Community" as there has been considerable disinformation from MakeMHz, making the situation quite confusing for many of us.

Thanks for your attention, NeMesiS