MBP a1708 Retina screen flickering / flashing & lines / residuals / artifacts

da_muffinman

820-00875

Hey,

I am trying to determine the source of this issue.

Symptoms:

A few vertical colored lines on the left side of the screen totalling less than 1mm in width

Sometimes horizontal lines appear and disappear near the top of the screen

Screen brightness level fluctuates drastically / flickers / flashes (this does not occur when booting safe mode)

Residual graphic artifacts linger / lag when there is any movement on the screen (this does not occur when booting safe mode)

The computer is otherwise a tad laggy but functional. I'm going to evaluate the seating / cable connectors, etc, but in your guys' experience does this seem like an issue with the screen, the connector or the logic board video circuitry? Would it be worth buying an adapter to check the display on an external screen?

**When pressure is applied to the bottom left of the front of the screen, the number of tiny thin lines changes and they kind of change and jump around a bit.**

Basically, if it seems like the actual screen is the issue, I'm just going to sell this off broken. I do not want to open up screens it is too much of a pain imo. If it's advisable, I'd be willing to try heat application or pressure or something that does not involve taking the screen apart.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: