People love sodomizing shit

smiba

Holy shit... The only thing I can imagine happening is that someone already connected the display cable before screwing it on and then having dropped the display.

smiba

No Title

Had this amazing one in today, Its was shooting 16V straight into PPBUS_G3H

Surprisingly enough none of the datalines were shorted in a way it killed the SMC's sensors, so a new ISL and everything is up and running again.

Attachments

• photo1529.jpg
    photo1529.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1530.jpg
    photo1530.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1531.jpg
    photo1531.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

G.Beard

I'm always more afraid after a customer says "Another store tried to fix it but they coudn't" then when they say "Yeah I tried to fix it myself but it didn't help"
Because the store probably got the tools to mess it up real good, while the customer probably just placed it in rice lol

Anyways not really sodomized by customer or store but felt like posting this closeup anyways :)

Dude, as Nick said, your photograph is fucking CRISP. What did you take this photo with?

Last edited:

Atomrepair

No Title

Someone mailed me these images last week. He was gifted this laptop to try and fix. He said he thinks it fell on its corner and perhaps someone pulled on the charger cord too hard. I think someone tried to eat the case with pliers. I said I'd replace the magsafe for my standard fee, but no guarantee of anything working. He declined, which was ok by me.

Attachments

• photo1659.jpg
    photo1659.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • photo1660.jpg
    photo1660.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

gadgetfix

WOW. this thread is real entertainment. please keep them coming. IF ONLY i took photos of some of the stuff I have seen.

Nick

That's beautiful. Reminds of one of the HDMI port + filters on a ps4 i fixed. This is what were inside

1YtTyzb.jpg

dukefawks

Administrator
Yeah, if you fix stuff like this you have no business in micro soldering anything, butcher work. I bet the coax is damaged/flattened at the screw for the heat sink too as usual :(

I fix it by soldering on a connector and a bit of coax too like that, but the exposed core will not be more than 2mm.

absolutely agree. This is coming from a repair shop that installs SSDs in 2011 iMacs without doing anything about the tempsensor-thing. instead they install fan control software that only works after logging in.. it's sad.. the last iMac I got in had the gpu replaced with an incompatible firmware or something, his solution: leave the optical drive fan disconnected...
if you're that disrespectful to the business: get the F.. out.

I think it was duke that pointed out you can solder three pins together on the SATA connector. I’ve figured the enclosed picture to be the easiest way, but please let duke verify if this is correct. (I can’t for the life of me remember if this is the right picture as I had multiple attempts and as it’s been awhile, and I’m not at work now.) this is Pins 10 11 12 iMac temp sensor mid 2011.JPG one of the pictures I took of test drives, I took that to remind myself as I have a shoddy memory

dukefawks

Administrator
Yup that will nicely destroy the connector that you push on there. Why not take off the PCB and put a blob of solder between pins 10 and 11?

I see this is a 2.5" drive. This trick does not work anymore for the "slim" iMac models. This only works for the 2011 models.

Yes only for 2011. Sounds like a better solution, never thought of that, stupidly enough. The connector does have quite the amount of flexible rubbery stuff so it bends around the little solderblob. But I’m gonna use your method from now on.

Last edited: