Retina LED panel automatic brightness and resolution issues

dr. moast

Hi there,

I am the owner of a larger repair center in Germany that repairs anything on smartphones, tablets and macs, but specializing in board repairs. I am quite new to the board and kept reading a while, now I have a little problem.

We installed lots of screens to 13" and 15" retinas which all work perfectly (LED panel only), but some customers complained that the new screens would not respond to automatic brightness adjustment and also show weird behaviour when changing the resolution via control panel.

However, the native resolution is just the same as the "original" retina screens, so I am pretty sure it is an EDID problem which results in OSX not recognizing the new screen and to behave weird.

Is this a known issue? (We checked other macs repaired by us and saw it in most machines) And does somebody know a soution to that problem?
We know how to read and write the EDID to older screens (like LP154) but we didn't find a solution for retina screens yet.

Regards!

dukefawks

Administrator
Yes it's and EDID problem. No there is no fix as I have no idea how to flash the EDID over the display port interface. LVDS is easy as it is just an EEPROM.
I don't replace LCDs on retina assemblies anyway, what a disaster and waste of time that is. Just get B-grade assemblies for $150.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
duke is correct that you're not solving this, as it requires flashing EDID over displayport.

It is a known issue, solved by sales. Tell them good news, we can fix it. Bad news, if you care about scaling feature, I can't help you without replacing the entire lid. Focus on the happy. They will anticipate a huge piece of bad news, and when you tell them the only bad news is the scaling, they won't give a shit.. if you start out the gate telling them that scaling will not work, now that is what they are fixated on. Tone of voice and presentation is important here.

If scaling is important, we can replace the entire lid, at X cost, where X is way more than whatever the LCD by itself costs.

99.999% of the population will not pay the additional because 99.999% of the population do not use scaling. The issues with giving people B-grade assemblies with scratches for me is far worse than selling scaling issues, anyone paying over $150 expects whatever screen I put in to be scratchless/spotless and for the dents to be in the same section. What I have come to learn is that people will actually be mad if you give them back a top assembly that is less dented or scratched than the one they had if the dents are in different spots.

If you are fixing for resale, this is not as much as a problem and finding a few display assemblies used for $189 on ebay is probably the way to go.

This is the reality of the shit we deal with until society moves onto a more evolved point where we can just buy parts to fix products that actually work..

dukefawks

Administrator
90% of the time the assembly with the cracked LCD will have worse scratches ad dents than the B-grades I slap on there. You can also just slap a B-grade on there and take it to Apple and have them replace the assembly under the "retina stain gate" program. Till October this year they will replace any retina LCD that even has as much as a spot on the LCD.