[SOLVED] 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina... Boots chimes no image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac-N-Sauce

Back for more fun! I have a 15" retina pro with no backlight. I am attaching a photo of the area that suffered some liquid damage.
The issue is obvious, so my questions are:
1) Louis do you have these lvds connectors for sale? Are the connectors the same from 2012 on?
​2) I will replace the C8301 and the L8300 and the LVDS connector. Is there any secret to replacing the connector without damaging the surrounding areas from the hot air station

The computer does boot and chime, but for obvious reasons no screen

Attachments

• photo298.jpg
    photo298.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
also this is not LVDS, it is displayport

lastly that is not no backlight, it is no picture/no screen. find out why that inductor blew. is there a short to ground in the screen, the screen cable, the connector, or something else?

Mac-N-Sauce

No Title

The display port and cable was hit with liquid so that is my guess. I received it this way. The screen cable has a the end pin blown off. It also looks like it was butchered by someone. I will swap out the screen with another one I have but I will replace the other items first I would assume? Would that make sense as the order of operation?

Attachments

• photo299.jpg
    photo299.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
replace cable, inductor, and connector. then before powering it on check for a shortto ground on pins 1, 28, 29, and 30.

Mac-N-Sauce

Great, thank you! Will follow up when done.

P.S. Have been using that new board view software on my mac, what a difference!

dukefawks

Administrator
I always take these connectors from cracked Macbook Air LCDs. Replacing the cable on retina assemblies is very easy.

Mac-N-Sauce

Ok, finally got everything done. New inductor, new lcd connector. Trace was blown on PP5VR3V3_SW_LCD at pin 1 of L8300 so I ran a wire to C8301 pin 1
Pin 27 ground trace was blown on lcd connector so I connected it to pins 25 and 26
Pin 28 trace was blown so soldered 28,29,30 together

In diode mode, no power on i get .535v on pins 28,29,30
On pin 1 I get OL
Also changed out lcd cable.
Is this correct?

Mac-N-Sauce

Ok, finally got everything done. New inductor, new lcd connector. Trace was blown on PP5VR3V3_SW_LCD at pin 1 of L8300 so I ran a wire to C8301 pin 1
Pin 27 ground trace was blown on lcd connector so I connected it to pins 25 and 26
Pin 28 trace was blown so soldered 28,29,30 together

In diode mode, no power on i get .535v on pins 28,29,30
On pin 1 I get OL
Also changed out lcd cable.
Is this correct?

Mac-N-Sauce

No Title

Well, I checked my data against a know good board(the one I am typing on)
The values were very close to each other so i decided everything was normal
I am proud to say that the screen is fixed and the computer is fully functional!

Just a note, it is a mid 2014 15" Macbook pro.

Thanks guys for your help as always!
This case is closed!

Attachments

• photo310.JPG
    photo310.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311.JPG
    photo311.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.