Thought about upgrading 2.5 SSD instead the 3.5" on imac 27 late 2015 emc 2834

dukefawks

Administrator
With all the risk and shittyness with removing the LCD and the thermal sensors in the HDD I think the best is to just boot from an external drive connected through the thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt is much faster than SATA so it will have no impact on boot performance.
I have not opened a 5K machine yet so I can give no advice on that. I'm pretty sure you will run into the thermal sensor crap like on all the other models.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
and of course make sure you buy the exact same adhesive that was originally used or the LCD will fall out of the machine.

Davis

and of course make sure you buy the exact same adhesive that was originally used or the LCD will fall out of the machine.

Yes of course that I already had I just wondered if someone did this uphrade successfuly and if theres somthing special one should be aware of, the thunderboldt solution is not what the costumer wants so its no go this time..

dukefawks

Administrator
You will need to tie pin 11 of the SATA power connector to GND to avoid the thermal sensor issue.
The risks of this upgrade versus the marginal amount of money that can be made with it makes it a bad idea. But if you must....

Davis

You will need to tie pin 11 of the SATA power connector to GND to avoid the thermal sensor issue.
The risks of this upgrade versus the marginal amount of money that can be made with it makes it a bad idea. But if you must....

I respect and understand your opinion but I believe every risky/time consuming process get quicker and safer by doing it rather then avoiding it, that is our profession afterall to do things other wont dare to do and get the money for it.
Knowing the risk and the complications I gave a price offer for only the installation of 350usd so the rest is for the costumer to decide.
If the price offer seems for you guys from the US extream, it is because macs is very expensive where I come from.