Turns on and shuts off NUC8I7HNK4 need a BIOS

it-solve

It's not Mac-related but I am out of ideas and don't know where to turn to.

Seems like we are dealing with a case of a corrupted BIOS after Intel Driver software attempted to flash the bios (haven't seen that before). The customer reported seeing a BIOS message while the screen was flickering during the Intel Display Driver installation. This was while the BIOS WRITE lock jumper was in place. Resulting in Loop restarting.

Afterwards, the customer attempted flashing BIOS via a USB stick, resulting in turning and immediately shutting down unit NUC8I7HNK4.

Under the thermal cam, I can see that the CPU is initiating a heat signature for a second before it switches off.

There are two bioses in this model. There is also 3rd bios that is directly connected to the USBC chipset, so I am assuming that is not relevant to this case.

NUC8I7HNK4 W25Q128JV SYS_SPI
NUC8I7HNK4 W25X40CL GPU_SPI

Attachments

• NUC8I7HNK4 W25X40CL GPU_SPI.1.zip
    101.1 KB · Views: 1

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
SYS_SPI chip is the one you need to read/write.

No way to start USB BIOS update with F7?
Intel provides a file for this purpose.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First file is a mess.
Can't be opened with ME Analyzer, or Intel FIT.

ME Analyzer adverts about data corruption in the second file.
So you have BIOS problem for sure.
Couldn't find any working full BIOS to download from Internet?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
They didn't specify the exact model of NUC machine in that thread.
Cleaning ME region is easy in your case, but the BIOS region is where you have the problem located.
What you need is packed into Intel .BIO update file.

Just for test, give a try to this file from NUC8i7HNK2; not sure if good however.

BTW, did you try this?

Some more information found on Internet, but I don't really have time to insist more on that.
An online translator my help you with this:

it-solve

ok, so flashed the backup and there is some progress. The light comes on 1 second and goes off, then comes back on again it stays on for about 5 seconds and shuts off. Compared to less than a sec before. No keyboard or monitor activity though.

Tried the USB method to recover but is not staying on nor USB activity before and after flash of the bios.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Take your time and check all links I've sent you.
You should be able then to build new BIOS region from Intel .BIO update file.