Water damaged A1398 boots (w/chime) to black screen, dies when booting from ext hdd

wedge07

My first post so be gentle.

15" MBP Retina (late 2012)... water damage took out the I/O Board (melted the I/O cable). Removed cable and board. Also killed the SSD (wouldn't boot from another Retina). Localized corrosion removed. Applied power and attempted boot from external usb hdd. Dies after 3-5 seconds of power. Reset SMC and PRAM. Fans now on high, but still dies after 3-5 seconds. Ran Apple HW test. Shows "no problems with the logic board."

Huh?

Won't boot to Safe Mode.

Starts booting to Recovery but as soon as it looks for a place to install, total shutdown executes.

My brain says SMC. Will SMC operate as normal with no I/O board? Waiting for a replacement board and cable.

Many thanks to all kind responses.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
I believe this should at least boot without IO board. ASD should report a sensor issue if your fan is running high.

I have had these shutdown issues as soon as Apple logo appears. It was a corroded pad under one of the PWM chips of the CPU Vcore power supply

wedge07

I believe this should at least boot without IO board. ASD should report a sensor issue if your fan is running high.

I have had these shutdown issues as soon as Apple logo appears. It was a corroded pad under one of the PWM chips of the CPU Vcore power supply

Looked and noted I didn't clean as well as I could have. My CP500HT comes in on Monday. Will try another cleaning...

wedge07

Where was the original water damage?

The original damage was on the I/O Board and Cable. Went up in smoke. Initially removed the board and everything seemed to be working after a cursory cleaning but then it started spontaneously powering off after reading on the internal SSD for about 2 minutes. Then the SSD completely self-destructed and I removed it. That's why tried to boot it off the external. I haven't applied power since the external died after 4 seconds.