820-00165 orange light, no power

JosephClampett

No fan spin, orange light regardless of battery presence on early 2015 Macbook Air. No water damage or visible corrosion. Tested with other power board.

Getting 3.47 V (instead of 3.42 V) on PP3V42_G3H, 15.1 (possibly instead of 18.5 V or at least instead of 14.85 V) on PPDCIN_G3H_ISOL using 45 W charger. I'm a bit new to this - are these values normal for these lines?

Since it seems like the onewire circuit is likely fine and just a multimeter precision thing, perhaps the issue lies with the battery circuit? I can't find much info about the specific conditions that make the orange light show up. Which general circuit should I be looking at?

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Good to have orange light on Magsafe; is sign that SMC works, at least partially.

No water spill, but no other history available?

Do you get 3V3_S5/SUS?

JosephClampett

Hello! Sorry for the misunderstanding. No water spill, just a few bits of dirt and hair. Customer report:
Plugged laptop in and left it for a few hours, came back and it had turned off completely. Pressed power button and machine didn't turn on. Charger light remained orange even after hours of charging.

Just made a mistake - the multimeter touched R5501 pin 1 (PPBUS_G3H) when testing PPDCIN_G3H_ISOL on R7005 pin 1. There was a spark and R7005 seems to have damage on its solder pad on board. Still has an orange light, though. Is it likely that I can just replace that resistor?

JosephClampett

(I should clarify that the top of the resistor seems fine - the black circle of 'damage' is actually on the thin solder layer on top of the pad.)

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Do you get orange light with charger only (no battery)?
If yes, R7005 is good; if not, change it.

I'm still waiting you to reply my questions...

JosephClampett

PP3V3_S5: 0.5876 V
PP3V3_SUS: 0.0 V

Still get orange light with charger. Does that mean the short, which caused the spark and noise, didn't break anything?

JosephClampett

P3V3SUS_EN is 0, PM_SLP_SUS_L is 0, and that comes out of the CPU which seems concerning. PM_PCH_SYS_PWROK is 0, ALL_SYS_PWRGD is 0, PP3V3_S0 is missing. Sorry that might be too much info - followed it from P3V3SUS_EN as you can tell but got a little stuck at PP3V3_S0.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand your concern about orange light; you already got a reply.
"Good to have orange light on Magsafe"

As missing 3V3_S5, let us know if you have correct PPBUS_G3H voltage.

JosephClampett

L7130: ~1.0 kΩ
CHGR_AGATE (pin 1): 3.3 mV (0 V)
CHGR_DCIN (pin 2): 14.6 V
CHGR_ACIN (pin 3): 3.96 V (measured in DC but the name suggests AC?) 0 V measured in AC
CHGR_AMON (pin 9): 29.5 mV
PP3V42_G3H (pin 12): 3.468 V
CHGR_RST_L (pin 13): 3.3 V
CHGR_BMON (pin 15): 55 mV
CHGR_CSO_N (pin 17): 8.6 V
PP5V1_CHGR_VDD (pin 19): 5.05 V
PP5V1_CHGR_VDDP (pin 20): 5.0 V
CHGR_CSI_N (pin 27): 14.55 V

Last edited:

JosephClampett

I used the line names because I got the values from probe points and other componenets - the multimeter's tips would bridge the pins on U7100.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
" PPBUS_G3H is 0 V
------------------
CHGR_CSO_N (pin 17): 8.6 V"
Are you sure?
Then F7140 is open; check diode mode at pin 2.

"L7130: ~1.0 kΩ"
I said diode mode, not ohm scale...

JosephClampett

Oh sorry. Diode mode on L7130: 0.15 V. And yes I'm very sure about pin 17. Black on F7140 pin 2 and red on ground with diode mode: 0 V.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So F7140 is burnt and you also have a short on PPBUS_G3H.
Now post exact ohm value of this short.
And compare with all big coils to ground...

JosephClampett

Yep, just checked on resistance mode with F7140 and it's in the MΩs so that's definitely going to have to be replaced. Although actually when I reverse the black and red it's just 1 kΩ. Before I go forward: you mean place red probe on, say, F7140 pin 2 and black on ground in resistance mode with no power? Doing that I get 0.3, 0.2 Ω.

Last edited:

JosephClampett

Using that strategy:
L2920 pin 1: 947 Ω
L7310, L7320 pin 1: both 17.2 Ω
L7560 pin 1: 5.25 kΩ
L7520 pin 1: infinite
I suspect I misinterpreted your request.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot L7430 and L7630...

"you mean place red probe on, say, F7140 pin 2 and black on ground"
Not important when measure ohm scale.
But is VERY IMPORTANT to put red probe to ground on diode mode.
Good to do it on ohm scale too, and never get confused.