820-00165 with no i sight webcam

Chuck60

Hi, I received this laptop with a couple of issues the webcam won’t work. I’ve looked around and can see any damage On cable what so ever Al the way up to hinge and where it disappeared into the screen. How can I test the camera itself? Oh also the ssd set screw is broken inside should I glue something to it to remove the broken screw? How would you remove this screw ?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Any history available?
Did camera disappear after OS upgrade?
You can try known good BIOS, just for test; do NOT forget to make backup first.
Be sure first to get all camera voltages on the board.

Try to fix the SSD in place with molten plastic, if you cannot use the screw anymore.

Chuck60

Yes it was a ebay purchase and I found some damage to the cable. I’m sorry let me investigate the issue further but for. Ow I will order a new cable and or screen

Chuck60

Ok it’s not the cable or camera I just repaired another board and the Same enclosure iSight camera worked fine. I check in the “about this Mac” On this current board and it seems it only says “MacBook Air“ no year or specs. someone has Made a repair attempt before I received it . I guess my question is should I flash with a fresh bios ? Also I’m not sure I have this bios I’ll have to look for it. Ok, Thank you I’ll back up the current version anyway

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Few BIOSes for this model posted on the forum.
Good for test only.
At the end, serial number must be changed and Fsys checksum fixed.

Chuck60

ok I’ll search for it. I have the programmer but I haven’t changed a serial number or Fsys yet. But I’ll give it a shot :) thanks.
I wonder Would it be easier to just pop one off Bios chip off another donor board?

Last edited:

Chuck60

Yes I downloaded me analyzer and board serializer. I will upload back up bios as soon as I finish with this other board thank you :)
I will upload original to google drive

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Some files already posted on the forum, with clean ME.
Do NOT change anything, nor even serial, just test.
If you change serial, Fsys checksum must be fixed!

Chuck60

Ok so everything is showing on the about my Mac except where it says MacBook Air there no year. I’m planing on selling the board and keeping the enclosure as a test enclosure I also got 5 other Items from the same seller these where just the boards all water damaged and all have this issue. I’m guessing maybe the messed with bios thinking it might fix it? But all required some repairs other than bios. So I’m stuck at the same point with all these boards all powering up and booting. After board serializer all info is showing except “model and year”
2- 820-3330
2-820-00165
1-820-3437
And this unit stated in title. I’m sorry I didn’t make a new thread I figured one question for all units would be easier. I tried with my test ssd and test hdd and nothing because I know these drives show year and model on other units.
Thank you

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If you read ALL threads and take notes, you should know why this behavior with manufacture date on some machine appears.

"The answer is – because my laptop was originally a build to order, the model/year does not show up in “About This Mac”. MBAs purchased direct from a store will show the model/year correctly."

I personally didn't know the real reason too, before read that...

Chuck60

Yes I read those threads also I saw that it was a “direct order” But, I just found it odd that all had the same symptom Missing year and model :/ I thought I had done something wrong and all items being from the same seller :) I’m glad I’m done with these. thanks for your help.