820-02382-16 stuck at 5v, no magsafe light

prodigy83

My reference: TT9890

History: Customer spilled tomato juice on his computer, lots of damage. I had it powered on and working, was charging at first too. The customer brought this back to me twice. Each time it was not charging.

After visually inspecting, I saw 2 damaged diodes, I did not have the exact ones, but I used a donor board and I tried using the datasheets to match up as close as possible. The 2 diodes were: DZF600 currently has no voltage, and DZF687 fluctuates around 1.2v.
Other parts replaced:
U5500 twice
C5660
C5500
C5508
C5505
Q5216 (Purchased from digikey, consulted with an engineer since an exact match was not found, they said this should work).

All the pads east of CF813 were completley missing, I ran traces/pads to connect them all, RD671 pin 1 has 11.97v along with the traces/pads I replaced.
C5223 Is getting 5.1v
PP1V8_S2_CHGR is 1.79v
I did have the Magsafe light blinking the other day after having reflowed U5500, but because it was blinking, this is why I ended up replacing U5500 twice as I specified above.
I also had to repair the pad West of UF360 SPI_UPC1_MISO by running a jumper to RF362 pin 2.
I am losing my mind with this board. Your help is greatly appreciated.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You may have accumulated crap underneath BGA chips.
Or possibly corroded traces.
This looks like time wasting...

prodigy83

I waste a lot of time on crap like this. This is an expensive board and all my customers data is on it. Where else should I look at? I just replaced R5503 and the Magsafe light is back to blinking! But intermittently the magsafe light blinks, and sometimes it doesn't. Furthering my research PPVBUS_USBC0 is getting 0v.

I got it narrowed down to PPDCIN_AON is 0v. Is this coming from U5200? The schematics I have, some of the components do not show up.
PP1V8_S2 is getting 1.79v.

Last edited:

prodigy83

PPDCIN_AON goes from charger (USB-C, or Magsafe 3) to U5200.
I have replaced the U5200, no change however I wonder if I somehow damaged something from the magsafe connector wobbling. I always stick electrical tape around it so it does not touch anything on the board it should not. The SYS_DETECT I get 0v but SYS_DETECT_L @ Q5155 does get 1.5v. I have another exact same board here where tea was also spilled on this one and its experiencing the same thing. I did have this other board powering on too.
PPVIN_P3V8AON = 0v
U5700?
USBC5_CC1 is getting 1.65v.
R5410 pin 2 is 4.8v.
Looks like power gets all the way up to D5410 pin 2, then pin 1 it gets 0v.
UF800?
UF840 pins 1, 2, and 4 I get 0v.
Getting 0v at PPHV_EXT01_AONSW
I keep getting around magsafe controller support and WHAMOLA SUPPORT PAGES?
ov on USBC0_3V3LDO_EN.
Bad UF400?
FF200/201 is .124v.
I just replaced UF400 and no change.
Q5216 pin 3 is .845 v, is this supposed to be that low?

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So USB-C tester stays black, no inication?
Then check diode mode readings on the connectors and around CD3218 chips.
Pay atention to CC1/2 pins and input fuses.

prodigy83

I replaced the CD3218 chip and got the 5v back via magsafe. USB-C ports are all lit up and staying at 5v on both sides. But while doing the diode mode PP1V8_S2 is showing 0.
UF400= CC1 is 1.49v,
But CC2 is 0v
I had replaced R5216 which is supposed to be 255K, with a 270K as this was the closest value without going to less. Would this affect that?
Q5216 I had also previously replaced with a part from Digikey which they said should work but I have a Q5216 coming from Aliexpress which should be the exact part. Would this affect my issue here?

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
CC1/2 pins interchange the voltage, when you flip the cable on the corresponding port.

You should find the short on 1V8_S2 rail.
What is exact ohm value?

prodigy83

What is exact ohm value?
I tried injecting voltage to 1V8_S2 with the infared cam but could not see anything getting hot. It doesnt really seem to be taking any amps. Milliamps but very low.
Now I have no short at all on PP1V8_S2. Voltage was at .6 when I measured it. Then I went to measure again and I am back to 0v. I got 83.k ohms now.

Last edited:

prodigy83

Do you have stable 5V on input now?
PPBUS_AON comes on?
Stable 5v all the way to the U5200 to C5223, and R5215 pin 1.
I get .63v at test point P3V8AON_PWR_EN,
PPBUS_AON is showing .045v. I have not been successful at all with getting power here except for once in the very very beginning.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
So your problem resides in U5200 area; if it gets 5V input at least.
Post its basic voltages; P_IN, AUX_DET, SMC_RST_IN, EN_MVR, AUX_OK, A/BMON.

prodigy83

So your problem resides in U5200 area; if it gets 5V input at least.
Post its basic voltages; P_IN, AUX_DET, SMC_RST_IN, EN_MVR, AUX_OK, A/BMON.
Yes, 5v in. I have swapped U5200 out a few times. I wonder if the Q5216 I got from Digikey is messing with anything.
P_IN= 5.1v
AUX_DET= 0v
SMC_RST_IN= .063v
EN_MVR= .827V
AUX_OK= 0v
CHGR_AMON= .061
CHGR_BMON (RD580 pin 1, I hope this is correct, the boardview I have looks slightly different in this area).= 0v

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You still need to fix AUX_DET...

Check AUX_DET removing Q5216.
If good, resolder it and remove RH006-9 (one by one).

prodigy83

This is what I ordered from Digikey, can you tell me if this is the same thing?
Now I am not so certain. All this started around the time i tried replacing this part from what I remember but may have been the magsafe touching something.
I may not be testing this right but I get an O/L in diode mode from negative to both AUX_DET_SHORT and CHGR_AUX_DET.
I got no continuity at all when testing. Am I testing this one right?

All RH006-9 are receiving 3.4v. The resistors don't appear to be the problem.
I went ahead and replaced Q5216 again with the same Digikey part from the link above.
Still not working.
Q5216 pin 1 has 3.42v, pin 3 has 0. I replaced U5200 again, and no change.
I have been using for R5216 a 270K resistor instead of the 255K specified in the schematic, will this be the issue?

Last edited: