820-2532-A - Intermittent no power issue

tlough75

So on the bench I have an 820-2532 with a strange issue. It is usually drawing 40mA and not powering on, so I checked power rails and am missing PP5V_S3. I removed L7220 and injected 5v to mimmic the 5v rail coming from U7201 and then triggered SMC_ONOFF_L and the board started. I removed the wires and put L7220 back on, try it again and the board fired up. Well after the board cooled off, it would no longer start, so I back to square one. I took my heat gun and heated the areas again and lo and behold it started again. I'm beginning to suspect a bad cap.

tlough75

I believe this board is one of the ones prone to the classic C7771 failures. I'm getting 330ohms to GND but do not have another board for reference.

tlough75

Thank you piernov. I replaced C7771 and it seems to be working well. I let it cool for an hour and it still turns on. Just out of curiosity, are there any measurements that can be done to confirm this is a fix either way? I understand that the proof is the computer is now running, I was thinking about for the sake of being able to measure something.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You should check L7770 voltage before replaced it.
Bad C7771 usually causes 0.3V there.
That is 100% confirmation...