820 2849 kernel panics

Jay

Howdy,
I know of the 15" 2010 model that has a simple fix replacing C9560 but now I have a 17" 2010 model with kernel panics.
C9560 on the 17" is not 330µF so can't try to replace that one but before I start looking for a good replacement cap to try out (if not C9560 then whatever the 17" equivalent may be), does the 17" suffer the same issue as the 15" or should I not bother and keep looking for another cause?

piernov

Staff member
The 2849 doesn't suffer from the common failure of C9560 on 2850, but there could always be a randomly failing tantalum capacitor anyway.
Make sure it's not a software issue and paste the full kernel panic log.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You should discard HDD and software first.
Also run corresponding ASD and see if any error pops up.
You may need to run ASD OS version, as EFI version will not properly check GPU.
Run Unigine test in macOS at least.

Jay

When booting from the internal drive, it either hangs at the Apple logo, logo + bar or shuts off.
Alt-boot shows me the boot picker and I can select an external drive no problem but once it starts loading the OS (any OS), same problems, this includes ASD.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like board gets stuck when switch to GPU.
Check if you can load Windows Live USB.
If you can, this confirms GPU issue; as its driver is not loaded in this case.

Jay

Been looking around but don't have a clear picture of where i can find that windows live to make a USB from.
Assuming it is GPU related, which component would I go after to see if it's the same problem that affects the 15" models?