820-3536-a wont turn on

Gannons3

I have an 820-3536-a macbook pro retina, I get an amber light on the charger, but the computer wont turn on, I am missing pp5v_s4, pp5v_s5 is presant. board was water damaged, thanks for any help

aprendiz

Check if pp5v_s4 is pulsing, you may need an oscilloscope, pulses are pretty fast and DMM may not catch it....

Also check for water damage around U6100 and U1900...

Gannons3

as far as i can tell pp5v_s4 isnt pulsing, but i dont have an oscilloscope. there was some blue along the 1-4 pin side of U1900 and the ground pin of U6100 had some aswell

dukefawks

Administrator
Look up all the termination resistors in the data lines of U6100 and check them all. Also check continuity between them all. I think there are 16 of them.

Gannons3

the only resistor that i found that was not what the schematic said was r6131, resistance was 77k ohms but theres no resistor on the board there; and its also not labled "no stuff"

dukefawks

Administrator
Yeah, there is your problem. Check around U1900, usually corroded pins or dead. Also check resistance to GND on PPVRTC rail.

Gannons3

U1900 had pins 1-4 pretty corroded, pin 1 definiately the worst of them, getting anywhere from 3-8 ohms resistance to ground on ppvrtc

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely bad CPU and this is junk.

Sometimes it is a short that can be worked around, such as in this case: fast forward to 1:30:00 to see me fix a case of 0 ohms to ground on a board with shorted PPVRTC_G3H that is very similar to yours.

https://youtu.be/RtHRwZxvjME?t=5434

Gannons3

okay i replaced c1910 and u1900 i now get 3.35 volts on ppvrtc_g3h board still doesnt power on; also still missing s4 power rails

Last edited: