A1398 MacBook Pro 820-00163 in boot loop

sekidata

I have a 820-00163 that chimes and starts up half-way, then kernel panics and restarts. Same for external and internal drives. Passes the Apple Hardware Test. I replaced the EFI chip (U6100) with no change.

I'm not the first work on this board; looks like the area near the SMC has had work done. Could this be an SMC issue?

sekidata

I transplanted (soldered) the EFI chip from a working identical model, no programming done. This has usually worked in the past, but did not improve anything on this board.

piernov

Staff member
This cannot work on anything starting from 1st gen Core i, you need to clean ME region when transferring from another board.

sekidata

I'm relatively new and not set up for any kind of reprogramming. My approach to getting rid of the occasional EFI lock has been to swap EFI chips (new or transplanted). Will certainly read up on the details of the SPI ROM, thank you.

sekidata

I installed a brand-new SPI ROM with guaranteed clean ME region. But the same issue persists: half-way startup, then kernel panic. Verbose mode shows this screen just before restarting.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 3

sekidata

A chip supplier off eBay (advancednetwork) I have used before. Have installed ~10 brand-new EFI chips from them in MacBook Pros with 100% success rate.

Any way to test if it's the GPU?