advice on how to behave on these kind of situation

Nick

Hello guys, i'm sad for fucking up and at the same time pissed, i have a samsung s5, needed a new usb port, pretty easy stuff, you need to remove the LCD to reach the motherboard and stuff, i did this 6 other times and i never had a problem. this time tho removing the LCD/glass assembly i litteraly ripped off the LCD, turns uout it has been litterally SUPER GLUED to the frame. that means someone else changed the screen before hand (who the fuck use super glue to hold a new LCD assembly?????? ) now it's a samsung, the LCD cost around 135E, i was asking 70E for the port replacement. i can't charge the customer for the LCD that i broke.. still this shit wouldn't have happened if i knew before hand (stupid me for keeping pulling tho..) obviusly the customer he is saying he ever had his phone fixed earlier and stuff, i honestly doubt that sasung would use super glue. pieces of glass are still attached to the frame. now i am losing money doing this thing. and it pisses me off. how should i have behaved? asking the customer to pay for the LCD? it doesn't sound right... i just need some advices or what do you think and if some shit like this happened to you guys before

dukefawks

Administrator
Nothing you can do, risk of the business. You can get a complete working S5 16GB for 100. Probably can sell the dead one for 30. Lesson learned.
I wouldn't even take repairs like this where I have to remove a glued screen at my risk.

Repairable

Yes this succes big time.

First: learn to solder back om A New port iT is les risk

second (And only if you cant solder back in A port): always upfront make iT clear that if the frame is damaged or if iT is repaired before you risk the glas/lcd breaking And thats there risk!

After is always to late

Nick

Yes this succes big time.

First: learn to solder back om A New port iT is les risk

second (And only if you cant solder back in A port): always upfront make iT clear that if the frame is damaged or if iT is repaired before you risk the glas/lcd breaking And thats there risk!

After is always to late

I can solder those ports Without problem but you still need to get the board out first

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
I charge based on every risk there is. I don't do Samsung charge ports but if I did I would be charging enough to cover when I broke the screen. It is a reality of the job and has to be factored into pricing.

I would happily tell people before I even gave them the price that I feel bad for them, because they bought a phone where the charge port is behind a glued in screen. This way, they're prepared when I tell them the price; rather than walking out thinking I tried to rip them off. If you say it's $200 for a charge port first, they'll think you're a ripoff. Here it'd go something like this.

Them: "my phone won't charge and the port looks messed up, how much to fix?"

Me: "Oh, I'm so sorry. I feel terrible for you."

*pause*

Them: "Why?"

Me: "Your phone is one of the few where they glue a $300 screen over the charge port that can easily break trying to get to the port. I don't know why Samsung does that: it makes repairing them a risky nightmare. I wish you had a more serviceable phone: here, you'd be looking at $200 for the port."

They're going to be pissed off - but they'll be pissed off at Samsung, not you. You can't keep customers from being angry, you can only direct the anger where it belongs.

In terms of this specific customer, there's nothing you can do but eat it.. you took this job.

peterfixit

no advice for this job, but for future jobs, try to make them aware that their phone is DEAD and you are their only hope for the phone working again, there is a small chance of the device working again, if the device if fixed then hey are really happy, if its not then they dont lose anything. everything is the customers fault, you have to make them see it that way, michael oberdick shows how to treat these dumbasses

Modder1

you take in device for repair you assume risk when you break it, you are liable, in my opinion anyway, I have had to replace a few phones in my day, it sucks but you must grin and bear it,