ALIENWARE AREA 51M R1 NO POWER

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
All voltages controlled by PCH_PWR_EN must stay on after pressing power button.
Check if any shorted to ground.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Check for pulse on all big coils.
Be sure none of them is shorted to ground.
Pay atention to PL101 and +1.8VSP.

kjchatman

well i put the system back together using the "fixed" board and it ran for while until unplugged it and then it would not come back on. It turns out that pbtn_out# failed again so i flashed the EC and now this board is doing the exact same thing. This is a revision 2 board but i used the firmware files for the original la-g881p (A00). Now I'm convinced that it's all just firmware related

kjchatman

One of the boards has an intel ME issue. It takes about ten seconds to post on a cold boot. I tried to clean the ME section of the dump and the hard drive doesn't detect with a cleared ME. this board has intel boot guard and i toggled with the setting but still no luck

kjchatman

when i add the clean ME region then the hdd won't detect in the bios. It detects with the old dump. Is there a way to repair the ME without using flash image tool?

Last edited:

kjchatman

i have another one of these boards. the cpu vcore is missing. Imvp_vr_on is 3.3v. the fans spin then stop. pm_slp_s4 remains at 3.3v after the fans stop.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If VCORE is enabled, there must be a communication problem between PCH, BIOS and CPU.
Any of them may be the culprit.
Just in case, check all traces, resistors and capacitors related with VCORE power supply.