Lead Toxicity - What Are the Physiologic Effects of Lead Exposure?

JorgePayar

A damn interesting article: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=7&po=10

Also:

Lead poisoning symptoms in adults

Although children are primarily at risk, lead poisoning is also dangerous for adults. Signs and symptoms in adults may include:
  • High blood pressure
  • Abdominal pain
  • Constipation
  • Joint pains
  • Muscle pain
  • Declines in mental functioning
  • Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities
  • Headache
  • Memory loss
  • Mood disorders
  • Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm
  • Miscarriage or premature birth in pregnant women
are we 100% safe with fume extractors? What do you think about it?

Last edited:

mnaty

A damn interesting article: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=7&po=10"]http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=7&po=10[/URL]

Also:

Lead poisoning symptoms in adults

Although children are primarily at risk, lead poisoning is also dangerous for adults. Signs and symptoms in adults may include:
  • High blood pressure
  • Abdominal pain
  • Constipation
  • Joint pains
  • Muscle pain
  • Declines in mental functioning
  • Pain, numbness or tingling of the extremities
  • Headache
  • Memory loss
  • Mood disorders
  • Reduced sperm count, abnormal sperm
  • Miscarriage or premature birth in pregnant women
are we 100% safe with fume extractors? What do you think about it?

If they are built with the standard carbon filter sheet then i highly doubt so. This is definitely concerning as i have found no fume extractor manufacturers for the small to midsize market that provide imperical data on their fume extractors performance and capability to filter/trap hazardous gases.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
As long as you are not chewing on your solder wire there will be no issues with lead. Wash your hands before handling food of course.
Smoke from the flux is a whole other story.

JorgePayar

As long as you are not chewing on your solder wire there will be no issues with lead. Wash your hands before handling food of course.
Smoke from the flux is a whole other story.

I have found this weller study related to flux smoke effects...

Attachments

• Health_Hazards.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 0

G.Beard

Are we 100% safe with fume extractors? What do you think about it?

We are not 100% safe from anything ever. A good fan and / or a good extractor with a pipe out the window (as far as I see it) will do just as good a job as anything practicably obtainable..... Carbon filters blah, suck it out the window with all the toxic car fumes. There was a study on the affect of car exaust fumes on childeren sat in the back that was pretty nasty and was found to be a major cause of asthma. Our familly don't drive but then we don't sniff flux fumes either :)

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
You're never 100% safe, but the argument of not caring because "everything kills you" is one I hear discussed all the time and it's BS. Everything you do to protect and promote your health is a step in the right direction, and I see no need to inhale a bunch of garbage everyday. I ran home from work every night from Manhattan to Brooklyn over the bridge. When my leg finishes healing I will go back to running rather than walking, and I plan to be doing that fifty years from now as my grandpa did.

Looking around at this field, I see so many who aren't even 35 who can't do basics like run a mile in under eight minutes or lift their body weight over their head. This all has a measurable effect on our energy level and drive as time goes on. When every movement feels like "work", that adds up! When my eyes first open from sleep I am up, awake, and ready to tackle the world, not fatigued like a zombie. I want everyone to understand how good that feels.

G.Beard

You're never 100% safe, but the argument of not caring because "everything kills you" is one I hear discussed all the time and it's BS. Everything you do to protect and promote your health is a step in the right direction, and I see no need to inhale a bunch of garbage everyday. I ran home from work every night from Manhattan to Brooklyn over the bridge. When my leg finishes healing I will go back to running rather than walking, and I plan to be doing that fifty years from now as my grandpa did.

Looking around at this field, I see so many who aren't even 35 who can't do basics like run a mile in under eight minutes or lift their body weight over their head. This all has a measurable effect on our energy level and drive as time goes on. When every movement feels like "work", that adds up! When my eyes first open from sleep I am up, awake, and ready to tackle the world, not fatigued like a zombie. I want everyone to understand how good that feels.

Ok, I'll go with that :)

Nick

Happy me. I'm in my twenties, soldering shit all day long and also working in a lead-acid battery factory. Yippee ki-yay! At least I get blood exams for lead every three months

Last edited:

jessa

Yes you are 100% safe from airborne lead poisoning through use of fume extractors. This is largely because the route of lead into your body is through eating and drinking or dermal contact with lead. Lead itself will not vaporizes until it reaches well over 1000C.

Rosin toxicity is completely different. Flux fumes don't cause cancer or neurotoxicity, but they do contribute to occupational asthma. The better your fume extractor the less your risk of asthma from soldering.