Let's build a DIY fume extractor

mnaty

yes. you are correct. I mentioned that in my above post. This is your prefilter. However, a prefilter does not need to be hepa, but the finer the filtration the longer the carbon filter. will last.

Further research has shined light on pitfalls of using most commercially implemented carbon filters. This is due to many manufacturers using poorly crafted carbon filter in order to accomplish three goals:
1) cost savings
2) ease of manufacturing
3) ease of consumer implementation

Furthermore, research has uncovered that the best carbon filtration media is to use a somewhat coarse activated charcoal that has not been ground into dust. (u need the cavity pockets created by the heat treating of the charcoal; ie. its activated state). Grinding the charcoal and coating a filter with the dust only severely diminishes its ability to absorb gases.

My new info has resulted in a change in direction to create a filter pocket designed to hold the coarse sand lind media of raw activated charcoal. On top of that, I will install a pre-filter, but Hepa is no longer my top concern. I may add it in down the road, but a multi-layer prefilter of standard media is more than sufficient to filter when using the raw activated charcoal.

*note: Maybe, HEPA is needed is commercial systems because they use the industry standard carbon sheets that have ground activated charcoal. Remember grinding up charcoal into a dust destroys the cavities which absorbs odors and leaves only a very tight space for gaseous absorption. Without knowing the exact science, Id assume that even some very fine trace particles would clog these dust size remnants of the activated charcoal. Hence the industrial standard to use hepa filtration..

Last edited:

mnaty

One other item. larossmann . If you or a staff member has time one day, can you do a tear-down on the main filter for the Hakko fume extractor; only after the filter is used up of coarse.

Specifically, Im interested in figuring out where they filter fumes. Pictures on Hakko site only show basic pre-filters and then straight to HEPA. Curious to see if they have built an activated carbon layer into their HEPA filter and if that layer is a bed of activated carbon or if it is just dusted carbon filters. If it doesn't exist at all, then WTF???

mnaty

No worries. Whenever you have time. However, it may be the perfect way to vent. Slap a pic of your competitor and/or PIA-customer-of-the-year on the side, the break out the power tools and whack the shit out of it til you reveal it insides. ?

Legend: PIA=PAIN IN ASS

peterfixit

No Title

how about mine drain pipe, with cotton pre filter and carbon main filter, flexi tubing to bouncy castle blower, controlled by a plug in a socket

Attachments

• photo967.jpg
    photo967.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo968.jpg
    photo968.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo966.jpg
    photo966.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0