Macbook Air lcd only a1466 cost 190 average?

point0001cents

I was planning to offer Mac Air lcd only repair for the 13" a1466 models and could only find the lcd matrix for $190 average. Also found $260 complete on aliexpress any lead or help is appreciated.

dukefawks

Administrator
And that is why I only replace complete assemblies on 13" air. 11" is the only assembly that is worth repairing at this moment. Same goes for all retinas, LCDs are too expensive to justify the risk and work involved in replacing them.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
you should be able to find them for $120 at the moment. I bought a stupid amount when they were still $72 and the receptionist can do this job in 17 minutes with no fuckups. Keep looking! $72 will never be found again, but $120 is still attainable. At $325 it's an easy $200 when you get it down pat.

ytesfay80

I found the Macbook Pro Retina 2013 lcd (LP133WQ1-SJEV) for $140/pcs. Are these retina screens worth doing a replacement on?

I can charge more than for a MBA replacement since its Retina right?

Where do you get your 11" (B116XW05 V.0) screens from? I saw some for around $30/pcs including shipping which seems really cheap.

larossmann Do you know if that seller on aliexpress mentioned above "Macdudu" a reliable seller of good lcds?

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Try swapping a retina LCD on a scrap assembly, I'm sure you will NEVER want to do it again. I get the 11" LCDs from the cheapest source on Ebay/Ali, never has issues really.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
This is all business. I'd rather eat my hair after pulling it out of my head than do retina screens. The receptionist, who brought me a computer yesterday thinking that it was broken because it was booting into Linux rather than OSX, can do five retina screens in a few hours, perfectly, no dust/glass/fingerprints anywhere happily while listening to her radio shows. There is value in everyone, and it's on you to find it and put it to work for your business. If I had skipped over her because she lacks understanding of certain software/computer related stuff, I would have skipped over someone who protects me from a lot of misery. :)

If you buy the LCD at $85-$90 for the 2012-2014 and $120 for the 2015-2016, and charge $400-$500 for the service, it is very worthwhile to do this repair.

Do realize some things you will hate doing, and if there is real profit, it's worth hiring someone else to do it. She cranks them out like no tomorrow but would never want to stare at a schematic and do board repair, and vice-versa. There are services I don't offer because I both hate doing them and the profit is shit, like iPhone screen repair. Buying good screens for $35 and charging $65 only to deal with people saying the color looks different/my power button worked before you touched it even though I dropped it off a balcony/it cracked on its own is not worth it by any means for the $30 involved for something I find to be miserable to do repeatedly. Nor am I going to do "virus cleanups" for $25 and hire someone to do that. But, for the $300 inherent in fixing retina screens, it is worthwhile to find people who are good at it.

You will go through a lot of people before you find one who is any good at the specific thing you give them, and the person you find who is good at X may suck at Y so they may not even make it onto your radar. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
The 11" LCDs are the easiest to replace, I do them all the time. Go try a junk retina assembly and then tell me if it sucks.

ytesfay80

larossmann you said "If you buy the LCD at $85-$90 for the 2012-2014 and $120 for the 2015-2016, and charge $400-$500 for the service, it is very worthwhile to do this repair."

When I looked up prices for the 2013 13" mbpRetina display assembly I saw them on PBMedic from $200-$350. I don't see how LCD Replacements are worth it and if enough people are willing to pay anything more than the entire display assembly but maybe I am missing something.

dr. moast

you should be able to find them for $120 at the moment. I bought a stupid amount when they were still $72 and the receptionist can do this job in 17 minutes with no fuckups. Keep looking! $72 will never be found again, but $120 is still attainable. At $325 it's an easy $200 when you get it down pat.

Hi Louis,

I can replace a MBA screen in 35 minutes without any dust, but 17 minutes? Your receptionist must be wonderwoman. Does she have a sister I can hire? :D

No seriously, how does she do that?

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
There was no question in your post. If the question is is it worth it at $250-$300, of course not. Find real suppliers to get cost of screens down to $85-$120, charge customer $400-$500 since this is a F'd up job to do, and it is worthwhile. The customer gets a new screen in their existing assembly.

So many of those assemblies available are used b stock shit with scratches and nicks in the screen. I can't sell those. I can sell people on a new LCD in their existing assembly, but I can't charge people more than $250 and tell them your screen will be used may have nicks scratches etc. They'll ask to see what it looks lieke, where the scratches are, it's just a nightmare.

bjf

This last point is extremely important. Customers aren't interested in hearing huge numbers and then seeing a used assembly on their computer when they come to pick it up. And good luck finding non-refurbished retina screens on eBay or anywhere else. It's a crapshoot. You may as well do it yourself. What's the customer going to think when the rubber trim is not attached properly or there are small dents or scratches? I'm a perfectionist with the aesthetics of a repair like this, and it seems that many of my customers are too, at least when they're picking up their very expensive repairs.