MacBook Pro (2009) A1297 820-2610 won't turn on.

cralx2k

Hi all.
I have a macbook pro (2009/2010) that I haven't used for a long time. Only the charger green light turns on. I did all resets and still the same. I checked Louis Youtube video and the PP1V05_S5_MCP was measuring 3mV. I replaced C7771 and the rail back to normal 1.1V. I installed only the fan to check if it would run and nothing. I installed back the board and battery is disconnected. Using the power bottom, the fans still do not run. The measurements I did so far are attached.

I have some newbie questions:
- How to power on/off the board without the power bottom?
- In the image attached the table shows SMC_PM_G2_ENABLE will be 0V with out Battery. So the P3V3S5_EN also will be 0v and U7201 will be disable and PP3V3_S5 should be 0v like I measure even though is S5 rail?
- This voltage for the original charger (16.69V) is normal?
- Where I buy original charger and battery?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Ps: the board is in excellent condition.
Ps1: Louis you're the man. Love your Youtube Channel... Big Fan for long time.

Thanks All

PP18V5_DCIN_CONN16.69V
PPBUS_G3H8.4V
PP3V42_G3H3.4V
PP1V05_S5_MCP1.1V
PP3V3_S50V 630ohms
PP3V3_S5_REG0v
PP5V_S3_REG0v
PPVIN_S5_P5VP3V38.4V
P3V3S5_EN???

mac.JPG

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum!

S5 voltages are available with charger connected.
With battery (no charger), you can only get G3H voltages.

You can use R5015 pads, instead of power button.
More information here:

Post PPBUS_G3H voltage w/ and w/o battery connected.
Magsafe light should go amber, with both charger and battery connected; unless battery is fully charged (100%).

Charger voltage looks good.
You don't need another one, for the repair.

Trigger SMC_ONOFF_L and check for pulse at 5V_S3 coil (L7220).
If present, check all other big coils.

cralx2k

Thanks 2informaticos

PPBUS_G3H is 8.4V with and also without battery connected. Magsafe light changes amber to green very quick. Fan still do not run. I haven't used R5015 or power bottom.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
The board should start with charger alone (no battery).
Test above mentioned.

Also post voltage and diode mode to ground at SCL/SDA lines of battery bus (no battery connected).

cralx2k

Ok 2informaticos,

Trigger SMC_ONOFF_L and check for pulse at 5V_S3 coil (L7220). No pulse or voltage.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................Diode mode ....................................................Voltage
SMBUS_CHGR_SCL1.736V3.42V
SMBUS_CHGR_SDA1.767V3.42V

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Values look identical.
However, read again above linked thread and learn how to prepoerly check diode mode.
And don't write again the "V" for diode mode readings!

Check for drop pulse at PM_PWRNTN_L, when trigger SMC_ONOFF_L (at same time).

cralx2k

Thanks for your help.

So, these are the correct values for diode test. I could find PM_PWRNTN_L. Are you talking about PWR BTN? I guess SMC_Reset grounds the SMC_ONOFF_L signal for pin PWR_BUTTON on SMC.... But how about the PWR_BTN? What is the proper way to bypass the power button?

Diode ModeVoltage
SMBUS_CHGR_SCL
0.514​
3.42V
SMBUS_CHGR_SDA
0.515​
3.42V

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 0

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"What is the proper way to bypass the power button?"
Read again above mentioned thread and try to understand all; take your time.
"You can use R5015 pads, instead of power button."
Just a hint...

Yeah, PM_PWRBTN_L is not available on this board (for test).
Check for pulse at PM_SLP_S4_L instead.

cralx2k

Should the fan spin when I connect the charger for this model right? If so, The board still has a problem.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
The fans require 5V_S0.
I just realized now you don't have 3V3_S5.

Test the board with charger only on the desk.
It should start automatically, when plug in the charger.
However, nothing will happen if you don't get 3V3_S5.

Check SMC_RESET_L, SMC_ADAPTER_EN, SMC_PM_G2_EN, PM_BATLOW_L.

cralx2k

I wasn’t able to measure 3.3v. I checked at L7260 and =PP3V3_S5_REG was 0V. This happens with or without battery installed. The reset on MC_MANUAL_RST_L (R5001) didn’t change anything and Fan spin still off.

with this information 3V3_S5 = 0v and Fan spin off I thought the board still has some issues. But for my surprise after I power on by pad R5015 SMC_ONOFF_L, the fans spin.

I assembled everything and did the final test and the MacBook didn’t turn on again. So, I thought I have anything holding the board. I left everything together and did power on by pad R5015 and the mac book power on ok. I think the membrane power ON/OFF switch is bad. I am not going to change the keyboard, instead I’ll try to fix this button.

I’m not sure why this MacBook fan doesn’t spin when I plug the charger or why I wasn’t able to measure 3V3_S5.

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 0

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"I’m not sure why this MacBook fan doesn’t spin when I plug the charger"
Because has Nvidia chipset (MCP platform), not Intel.
Stop to make wrong assumprions in the future!

Check if turns on triggering WS_KBD_ONOFF_L.
If not, change R5710.
If yes, bad power button...

cralx2k

It's not assumptions. I don't know all these details about about MacBook. I think I forgot to mention this is my first time working on mac. Thanks for your help. I learned a lot.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Pay more atention in the future.
You've had the classic C7771 issue this time.
Thinking the fans should spin directly, stopped you to find bad power button (R5710 maybe?); which was the second problem of your board.
Discard basic things first, or risk to generate more damage; apart of wasting time...