MBA A2179 - No water, No drop - Turned off while working, doesn't turn on. Takes current, no heat.

piernov

Staff member
CPU replacement could work, but of course requires BGA rework station, experience with it and a good CPU.
Apparently Apple has a way to recovery data from T2, without needing CPU. This requires access to Apple diagnostic servers, so third-party repair shops cannot do it.

samstown

CPU replacement could work, but of course requires BGA rework station, experience with it and a good CPU.
Apparently Apple has a way to recovery data from T2, without needing CPU. This requires access to Apple diagnostic servers, so third-party repair shops cannot do it.
So this is a service Apple propose in Apple store in New York or you need to send it somewhere ?

piernov

Staff member
I don't think they propose it. I only heard it is possible. Maybe you'll have more luck talking to an AASP, not sure…

samstown

I don't think they propose it. I only heard it is possible. Maybe you'll have more luck talking to an AASP, not sure…
I'll investigate. For this MBA, customer said he sent it to big DR Lab and they were asking him for a password... He gave his password but they said it wasn't not the right one however he knows his password... so I wonder what tool they used and what password they were looking for. He finally gave up with the big lab as the communication was bad and he could never speak to an engineer, only sales guy telling him they needed a password.

piernov

Staff member
Yes the user password will still be needed to be able to read FileVault2 encrypted volumes. Maybe he gave EFI password or something else that's different.