Why everybody can see the forum now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualLife

I was not logged in and found out that i can see all the forums topics and i even could click and read them. Whats up? Did you Louis change it that everybody can come and read the topics? Or is there a problem with your forum.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
It's read-only if not logged in, only lets you post if you're a paid member. Some people suggested this and we'll see if it works out well or becomes a nightmare.

VirtualLife

Its quite good :D I think many people will stop asking question about repairing and it will draw more people here to ask questions because of how successful this has been to you and for us of course. :)

oneoone

Hey Louis I want to (and will continue to) support you, but I have no need to continue with the membership I pay for any more.

Perhaps if you try experimenting with having JUST the board repair forum visible and read only for non members and have the other boards hidden. I posted in the health and fitness board specifically because it was not visible to the public. I would also feel less comfortable posting in the business board now the it is visible to the public.

RavetcoFX

I would argue that you already were sharing thing with the "public" before, it was just ~500 people instead of maybe thousands.

knightman

just joined, was viewing the forum openly before (about an hour into it) and wanted to register just to get rid of the "register now" blob text thingy (god i hope that makes some sense)

been a longtime viewer of the channel, gonna jump into this and see where it takes me in life. Anyway, hello from chicago right now on vacation, drinking a beer, reading the forumz

bighead

I don't think that this is a good idea. It's a paid membership forum. If anyone interested in the repair business pay the $30 as the others do.
This was started as a non public forum. Not asking those people who are subscribed members about this, it's just "not fair".
Those who wanted a read-only forum they asked this because they don't want to pay/support the forum, but they want access to it for free.
Those people already have your free youtube videos.

Worst thing , I didn't even know about this happened until I logged out and read this topic.

Edit: At least the "Board Repair Troubleshooting" section should be hidden from those who are not members.

Last edited:

Modder1

So sick of people complaining in our trade about nonsense. If you want to ask questions and get an answer without much effort you should be happy to have a resource that costs very little money. Crying that others can read posts is very similar to the notion that you shouldn't share anything in our business because if you can do it anyone can do it and you will never make any money ever again. Think about how easy it is to make a smoothie and how much money you save by making it yourself. People are still going out to Booster Juice and buying that shit over making their own better, cheaper version. Lets all stop complaining about shit like this and get on to honing our skills and making dollars. If the worst thing is that you didn't even know this happened until you logged out and read this topic, you have no fucking problems in your life believe me. Saying they already have your youtube videos is a big ol cry, I have a tissue for ya. Life isn't about what you think is fair. Don't be upset that someone could potentially figure out solutions to their problems and not have to spend the very small sub fee just because you did. In fact I will pay for your sub for the next 6 months in advance if Louis could ban you from the forum entirely. That would be fair to me. hahahaha How about if every forum similar to this one banned you from reading unless you paid, I bet you'd complain about that too right? Let me guess you complained about the paypal button when it got implemented on gsmforum too.

Since I cannot contribute to the repair threads at least I found this one to sound off in. Have a nice day.

G.Beard

So sick of people complaining in our trade about nonsense. If you want to ask questions and get an answer without much effort you should be happy to have a resource that costs very little money. Crying that others can read posts is very similar to the notion that you shouldn't share anything in our business because if you can do it anyone can do it and you will never make any money ever again. Think about how easy it is to make a smoothie and how much money you save by making it yourself. People are still going out to Booster Juice and buying that shit over making their own better, cheaper version. Lets all stop complaining about shit like this and get on to honing our skills and making dollars. If the worst thing is that you didn't even know this happened until you logged out and read this topic, you have no fucking problems in your life believe me. Saying they already have your youtube videos is a big ol cry, I have a tissue for ya. Life isn't about what you think is fair. Don't be upset that someone could potentially figure out solutions to their problems and not have to spend the very small sub fee just because you did. In fact I will pay for your sub for the next 6 months in advance if Louis could ban you from the forum entirely. That would be fair to me. hahahaha How about if every forum similar to this one banned you from reading unless you paid, I bet you'd complain about that too right? Let me guess you complained about the paypal button when it got implemented on gsmforum too.

Since I cannot contribute to the repair threads at least I found this one to sound off in. Have a nice day.

Dude, it's just his opinion.

G.Beard

I don't think that this is a good idea. It's a paid membership forum. If anyone interested in the repair business pay the $30 as the others do.
This was started as a non public forum. Not asking those people who are subscribed members about this, it's just "not fair".
Those who wanted a read-only forum they asked this because they don't want to pay/support the forum, but they want access to it for free.
Those people already have your free youtube videos.

Worst thing , I didn't even know about this happened until I logged out and read this topic.

Edit: At least the "Board Repair Troubleshooting" section should be hidden from those who are not members.

Quite simply, not everyone has the time to learn everything, so you pay someone else to do it while you do your trade. That's it's why we call it trading. I don't think you'll die of starvation because the forum is read only.

The internet is a resource for learning, exchanging information, collaboration, business opportunity, etc. It breaks the barriers of class divide and access to education. For too fucking long the rich had access to education the poor did not. So slightly less dramatic now... If people want to learn to fix a MacBook but they can't drop £25 to ask questions here. Let them read what they like for free! I hope it serves them well.

bighead

Are you really calling me out on this? He can ban me and believe me I wouldn't give a shit about it. The fact is that I've the knowledge to fix boards and I've came here because of Duke.
I'm part of other forums too and I'm happy to support something which helps me to find solutions. There are other forums you can go and ask questions for FREE.
This forum was made because someone get frustrated to help people those are making money with his help and this person didn't get back anything. Question for you - Does he should work for free because people like you? He put his time to try to help to others. His time/knowledge is worth more then the $30 you pay for the fucking sub. You the guy who wants to seat in a Ferrari but don't want to work for it, right?

Please check my questions here and the topics I opened. I'm not asking stupid noob questions. I've my own equipment to work with.
I'm not that guy who buys the shitty paint burner and tries to repair macbooks with it. No offense but the way you write tells me that you're one of that kind of people who thinks
that they can fix anything with putting no effort to learn. And yes this makes the whole community shitty. Why? Because people like you go out to repair
without any knowledge or clue fucks up tons of boards which are probably repairable. I can't tell you how many prefucked board I get lately.

So sick of people complaining in our trade about nonsense.
I'm so sick of cheapskates. If you don't have the money to pay the $30 how do you want to repair anything?
I don't have problem with those who are here to learn. Learn I don't give a shit. I've a problem with those who are want to do things without learning and crying how fucking expensive the $30.
The education is not free. You pay money for it. You learn and if you're good you will earn it back quick.

Think about how easy it is to make a smoothie and how much money you save by making it yourself. People are still going out to Booster Juice and buying that shit over making their own better, cheaper version.
So what? This is a stupid example. Not even related to that I said.

If the worst thing is that you didn't even know this happened until you logged out and read this topic, you have no fucking problems in your life believe me.
Who the hell are you telling me
if I have a problems in my life or not? Again this shows that you have no fucking clue what you're saying.

Saying they already have your youtube videos is a big ol cry, I have a tissue for ya. Life isn't about what you think is fair. Don't be upset that someone could potentially figure out solutions to their problems and not have to spend the very small sub fee just because you did. In fact I will pay for your sub for the next 6 months in advance if Louis could ban you from the forum entirely. That would be fair to me. hahahaha How about if every forum similar to this one banned you from reading unless you paid, I bet you'd complain about that too right? Let me guess you complained about the paypal button when it got implemented on gsmforum too.
This just doesn't make any sense. He has youtube videos you couldn't learn from it. Of course you want everything for free. Do not waste your tissue you will need it.

Last edited:

bighead

Quite simply, not everyone has the time to learn everything, so you pay someone else to do it while you do your trade. That's it's why we call it trading. I don't think you'll die of starvation because the forum is read only.

The internet is a resource for learning, exchanging information, collaboration, business opportunity, etc. It breaks the barriers of class divide and access to education. For too fucking long the rich had access to education the poor did not. So slightly less dramatic now... If people want to learn to fix a MacBook but they can't drop £25 to ask questions here. Let them read what they like for free! I hope it serves them well.

I've no problem with those who are here to learn.
You pay the $30 which is nothing.

Simple question. Why are people here? They're here to learn and make money right?
They can't pay the $30/month? But they can buy equipment to fix electronic devices?
They earn money and they don't put anything back.

My problem is that with this most of the people wants to make money, but they don't put any effort into it.
They fail and they make the repair community shitty. Just look at the comment I received from Modder1.

If people want to learn to fix a MacBook but they can't drop £25 to ask questions here. Let them read what they like for free! I hope it serves them well.
This is really wrong. How do they want to fix anything if they don't have the resources for it?

Last edited:

G.Beard

I agree in so much that I see a large amount of machines that have had poor repair attempts because a lot of my work comes from recycling centres.
Let's not forget that everyone has to start somewhere and it's more about how people choose to practice.

There are cowboys in every industry, it just so happens that with ours, the disrepute is driven buy Apple themselves because they want to make more money and discredit our work in order to do so. This is the same Apple that will actively lie to a customer about the damage extent... I see it all the time on "Apple Genius" reports as I'm sure we all do.

I think that bringing the industry out of the shadows and into the public eye with all the reports of success on the forums will actually help us a lot. People can then see that we are successful and we are way in advance of the "Apple genius". If the average Joe sees this, it can only help.

I started with £75 a week to live on for everything!... I worked my backside off. I went without food and saved my money just to get tools to work with.
Today I can pull in a grand whilst I watch a film. I wake up in the morning to find I have made money while I sleep. I'm no more special or cleaver than anyone else. I just worked hard and I used the internet free content to get here. The entire ethos of the internet is free information regardless of what it has become!. If education were not freely available to me I would still be scraping around for scraps or stuck in a factory job money in money out loop.

It is a good thing to remember where we started and look at where we are now. If you are person that started with the money in the first place you should really check out the reality of other peoples lives before you form an opinion. Who would have thought that a few YouTube videos and some forum threads could change a mans life!

I can't tell you that you are wrong in your opinion and you sure as hell can't tell me that I'm wrong in mine.

Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand all points of view here.

For many beginners, just reading through the forum for free is far less helpful than paying $29 to get direct, quick assistance with your specific problem. People can read every thread here and if they're new to board repair still be confused and need guidance. The $29 is a fairly low fee to have one of us walk you through the issue, and I feel a very, very small percentage of the "cheapskates" will gain much from just skimming through the forum. It's not that the free info isn't useful, it's just that people that do not value this craft enough to spend $29 probably aren't going to put the effort in to make the most of the free information available. I think they'd get the same out of it as they got out of the videos.

The idea of opening the forum was to get it more exposure to people who can make use of this as a resource. The value is the ability to ask questions, not so much in the ability to read through someone else's. I understand that a few may wind up leaving as a result, and if that is the case, I will live with it, as I feel in the long term the results may benefit the community. I feel it may be a benefit both in terms of more people realizing this exists, and also someday some genius researcher stumbling upon it who knows more than us combined who can help us with some future problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.