820-01598-A A2159 MacBook Pro 13” crush damage

posarah

Hi all,

I need some assistance with a 820-01598-A. The board was left on the roof of the previous owners car and he drove off forgetting it was there and drove over it. I bought it off him and when I opened it up it was still running, no screen activity though probably because it was shattered and the keyboard desk is cracked on the sides. Tried to hold the power button but it would not respond so I had to disconnect the battery. I then plugged in my USB c meter and the board was drawing19.93V 0.0035a. I disconnected everything removed the board from the chassis and board by itself still pulling19.93V 0.0035a.

I then Spoke to a friend of mine who asked me to check the following:
USB C meter: 14.779V 0.0143-173a. (Yes different to above.)
PPBUS @ F7000 = 12.6V without battery.
PPDCIN_G3H @ F3001 = 14.7 and steady not fluctuating. These were made with a 29w apple charger. I was then told to get a 98w apple charger and re measure which returned:
USB c meter: 20.568V @ 0.0372A. The protocol is listed as QC2.0 20V.
PPBUS_G3H @ F7000 = 12.56V and steady.
PPDCIN_G3H @ F3001 = 20.54V.

I then went down the power sequence diagram and checked all the rails are present. Stupid me did not write them down but I think I got about half way down the list. I then left it for a while as I was going mad. I came back and prodded around the ISL. I sprayed some 99% IPA on it and the caps around it to see what gets hot and boom now I cannot get above 5V and ppbusg3h is now 300ma as is pp3v3_G3H_RTC. I’ve checked those two rails and nothing seems shorted in the Kohm or Mohm range. I checked u6903 again no shorts in the Mohm range but 0v.I’ve also noticed the USB c amp meter says Samsung protocol now not QC 2.0 like it use to. It’s drawing 70-84ma at 5.168v but fluctuates. Lastly I hooked up the battery to see if that will change anything but still the same. It seems like the isl has crapped the bucket but wanted to get some advise before I go changing it. The fuses on both CD3217 show 5V. One thing I’ve noticed now is whenever I put the USB c charger on the top port when the cpu side is facing upwards the USB c meter turns off so it seems like it’s detecting a short and turning off. The second port it runs fine. This was not happening before.

I don’t think it’s the ISL though as it’s not getting hot. The component on the flip side of the board in the same spot as the isl is slightly, very slightly. As are some of the large tants and u6390 but again only slightly it takes quite a few minutes for the ipa to evaporate so it’s hard to tell if theres A short or if there just simply warming up because their on and working normally. Especially since whenever I try to measure something everything’s in the Kohm or Mohm range.

BTW: I have not tried DFU recovery. I do not have any working macs atm. I did try hook it up to a windows pc running iTunes but it did not detect anything not sure if it should. Also on the USB c meter I can occasionally get it to go up to 158ma so I do not think it’s a dfu issue. This happens very rarely though, I have to reset the charger and 99% of the time when doing that it sits on 80 or so instead of 158.

thanks for your assistance let me know if you need any further info.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum!

"I came back and prodded around the ISL. I sprayed some 99% IPA on it and the caps around it to see what gets hot and boom now I cannot get above 5V"
Any reason to do that, if already got correct PPBUS_G3H???

Now check diode mode to ground at F7000.
Forget about DFU, or any other test, untill get PPBUS_G3H back...

posarah

First of all, welcome to the forum!

"I came back and prodded around the ISL. I sprayed some 99% IPA on it and the caps around it to see what gets hot and boom now I cannot get above 5V"
Any reason to do that, if already got correct PPBUS_G3H???

Now check diode mode to ground at F7000.
Forget about DFU, or any other test, untill get PPBUS_G3H back...
Hi,

thanks for the welcome and assistance. I have seen a few videos where the isl was faulty despite getting 20v so I was thinking that was the culprit. Well tbh it was a shot in the dark, and probably dug the rabbit hole deeper for me.

diode mode on f7000: ppbus side: 1.795 and climbing ppvbat side with battery connected 1.6.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Write directly in to Reply box; do not click Reply button.
Please maintain forum aesthetic; no need to quote an entire post visible few centimeters above.

Doesn't seem to have low resistance there.
However, read and remember how to properly check diode mode in the future.
More important, NEVER check diode mode (nor ohm mode) with power applied; battery means power too!

"I have seen a few videos where the isl was faulty despite getting 20v"
Valid for non T2 machines; is not your case.

What is the actual F7000 voltage, with charger only?
Use the one which switched to 20V first time.
Be sure F7000 is not open.

posarah

Doh sorry forgot that I should know better. Disconnected battery and the voltage on both sides for f7000 is 0.157. I’ve been using the same charger since I bought the 98w. I did try the 29w when I first saw the 20v drop but it made no difference so I’ve stuck with the 98w as I was told the a2159 won’t turn on unless you use a 65w or greater.

There seems to be a short or open line I’m more leaning to on the board or something because when I just went to measure both sides said 0. Had to go back and forth a few times than check the fuse next to the cd3217 which measured 5.16v to get the above reading. USB c meter never dropped sits on 5.16 and 70-87ma fluctuating so it’s not a supply issue.

With the USB c meters for the protocol what should it say if the communication is working correctly? At first when I was getting the 20v it was saying QC2.0 but now it says Samsung.

is it worth removing the T2 shield and doing a visual inspection? Considering this is crush damage it’s likely a large bga has cracked solder balls which would explain the intermittent readings but no shorts showing. Only shield I’ve removed so far is thunderbolt.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Broken traces/components expect, after such damage.

U7000 should generate PPBUS_G3H with just 5V at R7020; if gets it, of course.
You may have cracked balls under it.
Should be able to resolder it without reballing.
However, just reflow it as first step.

Check diode mode to ground at 3V3_G3H too (L6900).

Post basic U7000 voltages; P_IN, AUX_DET, VDDA/P, A/BMON.

posarah

that’s what surprised me. Visually the board looks fine no cracks no visible trace damage no damaged looking components. There could be something hiding under the shields though. The chassis looks like it landed on the lid when it was ran over as the crack lines line up with the top speaker magnet closest to the trackpad on one side and the top speaker grill on the other so it looks like the board may of been missed of im lucky

I have not reflowed u7000 yet.

Ppdcin_g3H @ pin 1 of R7020 I is 5.16 so yes it is getting it.

Diode mode for L6900: 0.400.

pin @ r7020: 5.15v
Aux_DET @ r7016 1.278v
VDDA @ C7075 1.2V
VDDP @ c7077 1.203v
CHGR_AMON @ tp5919 0v ( also checked at r5439 again 0V. The test point layout on the board view is different to my board).
CHGR_BMON @ TP5922 0V. Was not able to find an alternative location to test.

posarah

I’ve attached a pic of the isl 9240 does that look like a chip in the side of it? opposite to the pin 1 marker inline with the bottom line of text). to the charge ports? I’ve tried scraping it off but it won’t budge. Very lightly scraping with a tweezer it does feel like a indent. Sorry for the crappy quality the focus on my 12 max is crap lately. Really starting to think apple deliberately degrades the quality of their cameras a month or so before release. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed this.

I must of thermal shocked it when spraying the IPA. ?! Has anyone bought these from Ali express? I know these are suppose to be hard to find but there are tons of Ali express dealers selling them. Whether their legitimate or not who knows…

that does not explain why it was not booting earlier though. As I stated at the start it originally was getting 20v so the isl is definitely not the only fault.

posarah

I reflowed u7000 as requested and unfortunately in the process C7023 decided it no longer wants to be on a MacBook. Is it required or can I leave it off? Only donor board I have are 2 a1466 with cracked pch. Both CHGR_AMON & CHGR_BMON are still 0V. F7000 voltage is 0.048v and diode mode is 0.395v USB c amp meter is now reading 5.126 - 5.141 volts and 86-100 mA.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"VDDA @ C7075 1.2V
VDDP @ c7077 1.203v"
Looks like bad ISL9240; good luck to find one.

Use boardview to locate the components.
I didn't see any uploaded picture...

posarah

I added it as a attachment maybe that’s why. I’ll try insert it below:

FEB1A857-85D7-4CAF-94B6-981752D96D75.jpeg
should be above ^^

There on Ali express so I’ll try there. Failing that there’s always the option of buying a iPhone charge case…

will the system work without C7023? As I said the two donor boards are one 3437 and one 165. Both were heavily corroded and dead pch so I don’t want to put on a damaged component to than have it damage something especially if it was not even necessary for the board to work.

thanks again for your assistance.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Don't bother with C7023 now, is not so important.
Be sure R7021/22 and traces are good.
Do the same with R7061/62.

"There on Ali express so I’ll try there".
Read more threads, not only your ones.

posarah

Ok battery case it is then. Yup resistors seem fine as do the traces. I reseated the charger again and now both ports are working it’s not turning off the USB c meter anymore and it’s pulling 170ma. Rails haven’t changed though ?

posarah

One thing I noticed is before reflowing the isl I was only getting 150ma occasionally, most of the time both ports would give 57. After reflow both consistently gave 157ma.

that said looks like it’s not the ISL. replaced it with one pulled from a xr case and re balled. Checked and made sure there was no shorts than installed. Now I’m getting 157ma on the top charge portclosest to the CD3217 and the bottom port gives me 56ma. Both VDDA and VDDP have not changed.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
In the picture previously uploaded, C7023 seems to be onboard, not missing.

Be sure R7075 is good and check diode mode to ground at its pins.

posarah

Yes the photo was taken before reflowing the ISL so C7023 was still there. It was during the reflow that the cap flew off. I thought 30 air flow would be enough to prevent that but it was still too high. It’s awkward because of my Barlow lens I do not have enough work room to be able to go in straight with the hot air gun, I have to go at a angle which makes take off more likely.

I’m measuring 4.7 ohm on R7075. The schematic also says 4.7 with no designator at the end, so that should be fine. My understanding is resistors only fail high so if it was bad we would be at least in the k ohm range. Please do correct me if that’s wrong.
Diode mode on R7075 is 0.433.

posarah

In this case, U7000 must be bad.
It should generate 5V at VDDA/P, when gets at least 5V at P_IN.

ok i bought 15 donor boards should hopefully be here tomorrow. 3 of them will have the 9240 on them so I’ll try one of those and see how it goes. Don’t want to do another charge case there 200 bucks here unless I find a used confirmed working one.

if that does not solve it might have to mark this one no fix. When I poured ipa on the board at the start of this thread I noticed the board itself getting hot first, where there were no components so it looks like there may be a short internally. Though this was after applying power for a few minutes, normally internal board shorts run bloody hot this was more like luke warm at best.

posarah

Finally received my replacement ISL 9240 today. Installed a fresh one and now VDDP is 5V. A friend told me to check R7191 as he has had it cause him issues in the past. Is that suppose to be a 0 ohm resistor or 2.7 ohm? The schematic on bad caps says 2.7 but the schematic from xin zhi zao says zero.

I originally only had the one from xin zhi zao so when I measured it I saw 2.8k. Thought hmmm if that was blown it should be higher than that. Checked at other things couldn’t find anything so I removed it. Now first boot was 5v 500ma than the USB meter reset and went to 20v 0.4744 amps and fluctuating slightly. If I use the second port towards the battery connector the meter turns off and stays off, so back to the earlier behaviour.

PPBUS at F7000 is 12.53 volts so we’re making progress finally! Looked around at a few other rails can’t see any shorts anywhere. Which boards have replacements for R7191? According to my schematics the 8P, 6,XS, 3437 and 165 have zero of these on them which I find very hard to believe! And according to the schematic the 1598 has only r7191.